Superfoods to Make You Feel Like a Superhero!

I don’t know about everyone else, but I love eating. It’s by far one of my favorite past times, and in order to sustain this past time, I like to keep track of what I’m eating and make sure its as healthy for me as it possibly can be. Hence, superfoods are very important to me. Not only are they usually absolutely delicious, they’re also good for you in a wide variety of ways. From keeping your skin clear, to helping you get a better nights’ sleep, to keeping you peppy through an 8-hour work day, here are some superfoods that are dietary must-haves (along with some of my favorite recipes that include them!).

Superfoods for Skinny Snackers

While I love eating, I’m still trying to convince myself that I love cooking. I think I do, but as a college student, I just don’t have the time (or funds) right now to do a lot of fun, experimental cooking. So I stick to simple things that I know I like, and that I know are good for me. For example, blueberries are a fantastic snack. They are full of antioxidants, super juicy, and can actually help aid in weight loss. They’re easy to throw into a baggy for an on-the-go snack, or to put on top of some ice cream for a sweet treat, or my all-time favorite, into a protein-packed smoothie that will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day!

Blueberries can also go great in a parfait with some almonds, another great weight loss food. Almonds are full of heart-healthy fats that your body can’t make on its own, and add a satisfying crunch to parfaits or midday snack sessions! Another fantastic fat-burning aid is green tea, which is particularly good when it’s mixed with cinnamon, honey, and a little lemon. Green tea is also super for replacing morning coffee with every once in a while, since it has the caffeine that coffee does but with the added benefit of being beyond healthy for you!

Bites for Busy-Bees

I also tend to do a lot of running around throughout my day, between classes, working, and social events, there’s lots of things I need to get done and most of them require me to be high-energy and engaged with the people around me. So, I’ve tried to find snacks and easy meals that keep me bubbly and full of energy all day! Lucky for me, one of my favorite foods of all time provides our bodies with lots of energy (and it tastes good on pretty much everything): avocados! Not only that, but you can eat an avocado simply by spreading it on some toast with salt and pepper, or dressing it all the way up to a decked-out avocado hamburger.

Another great food to keep you on your feet all day is salmon, which happens to go great with avocado! A little seasoning and this food can really help you kick it into high-gear when you need to be, and on top of that you get all the health benefits fish oil can provide you with. Bananas are also great for keeping up your energy throughout the day, and they can just be thrown in a bag or turned into a potassium-protein duo snack with just a little peanut butter and protein powder!

Great Grub that will Leave You Glowing

Lastly, did you know that what you eat can help you keep your skin clear, or even encourage lash-growth?? I had no idea until I really started doing some deep searching, but I’ve been completely convinced! For starters, soy protein actually encourages eye lash growth, so soy milk can be a great way to get some protein, calcium, and hopefully save money on future mascara purchases!

As far as foods that keep your skin looking fresh and clear, lemons are number one on the list! But who would want to eat a lemon, just straight-up? If you’re sensitive to bitter, like me, I would squeeze some lemon juice into your tea and maybe accompany it with some honey! Spices can be great for having happy, healthy skin as well, such as turmeric! Which is wonderful, since turmeric is in lots of recipes that are tasty and even a little spicy! My personal favorite is turmeric roasted with chickpeas. It’s super easy to make, and you can keep it in the fridge to reheat for easy dinners throughout the week!

Superfoods help make us totally unstoppable. And knowing that the food you’re putting into your body is full of goodness will make your meals that much better. So keep your body happy with lots of nutrient packed goodies!