City Scholars is a new initiative, launched in 2018, leveraging University of Illinois’ nationally renowned College of Engineering to build Chicago’s tech pipeline.
University of Illinois engineering graduates are fueling today’s top companies – but not enough of them are reinvesting their skills in Chicago and building their careers there long term. In an effort to address brain drain and compete with coastal markets, Illinois is seeking Chicago–based company partners to receive unique access to top students.
A carefully selected group of students will live, work, and study in Chicago while maintaining a competitive course load taught locally and online. Working 20 hours each week as interns with our partners, they will gain valuable experience in one of Chicago’s best companies. Our cohort experience will connect them directly to executives, experts, and civic leaders who make Chicago thrive.
Beginning with a small cohort that runs each semester, (with an optional summer extension), we expect to expand the program rapidly—ultimately including hundreds of students annually.
Illinois Engineering students are smart, eager, and prepared to solve the most challenging problems of our time. They will bring these beneficial characteristics to your company and your return on investment will be exponential. Participating in the City Scholars program can help you identify, hire, and retain some of the world’s most talented engineers and computer scientists in order to give back to Chicago.
We invite you to partner with us.
City Scholars Overview
- Available Fall and Spring Semesters.
- Interns work 20 hours per week in your office.
- Illinois provides online and in-person classes in Chicago, keeping students on track to graduate.
- Student cohort participates in seminars with executives, experts, and civic leaders; site visits and cultural events; and other customized programming in entrepreneurship, leadership, and innovation.
- Option to extend internship the summer prior or subsequent to participating semester.
Who Are City Scholars?
- Juniors and seniors majoring primarily in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering.
- Students who can balance living in Chicago, taking classes, and interning.
- Students who want a leading role in Chicago’s tech ecosystem.
- Students with a broad array of talents who can work on a variety of projects.
Company Commitment and Student Recruiting
Companies that partner with Illinois Engineering on the City Scholars program will pay students a pre-set hourly wage for 20 hours per week. There is also a program fee for each student hired, which covers the costs of student instruction and programming in Chicago.
Students will be admitted to the City Scholars program based on an assessment of their transcript and résumé. Companies will have an opportunity to meet students through networking sessions and one-on-one interviews.
Past Corporate Partners
- BlueCross BlueShield
- CME Group