Summer/Fall 21 Registration Guide

Summer and Fall 21 Priority Registration is underway!

Summer 21 Registration 

  • Make sure to note whether your summer classes are held during Summer Session 1 or Session 2. In Course Explorer the meeting dates will be noted within the course description.
  • Summer academic deadlines can be found here.

Summer and Fall 21 Registration Tips

Look for Course Restrictions. Some courses–or certain sections of a course– may be restricted to certain groups, like students in that major, or may require junior or senior standing. These restrictions are all listed in Course Explorer. We recommend opening Course Explorer while you are registering in Student Self-Service so that you can see all restrictions.

Here’s a quick video  on how to find a  course’s restrictions:

Registration Errors–Why can’t I register for this section?

What does Closed Section or College Restriction mean? Check our list of Registration Errors here to find common errors and how to fix them.

All About Econ 400 Level Courses

Econ 400 level courses and topics
We offer a wide variety of 400 level Economics courses on topics ranging from labor, finance,  and law, to history, econometrics, and more.

Our Fall 2021 Econ 400 Handout here includes brief descriptions of every 400 level Econ course offered this term.

You can also watch the video of our Econ 400 Level Night here. Various instructors presented a brief overview of their course.

How many?

We generally recommend taking no more than three Econ 400 level courses in one semester. This will allow sufficient time to focus on the workload of the courses without being overwhelmed.

Use the major planning sheets to review degree requirements:

Economics majors Use the BA Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

Econometrics & Quantitative Economics majors Use the BS Econometrics & Quantitative Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

CS + Economics majors Use the BS, Computer Science + Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

After Registration

Some courses outside of the Economics department may have restrictions that will be lifted after the date you register but before the first day of class. For example, Computer Science lists its course restrictions here. 

The last day to ADD a full semester course for Fall is September 3. The last day to DROP a full semester Fall course is October 15.  Find all Fall 2021 Academic Deadlines here.

Other Registration Questions

How many hours can I register for? To maintain full-time student status, register for 12 to 18 credit hours.

Can I register for more than 18 hours?  The maximum hours you can register for on your own is 18. However, you can request an overload from the College of LAS if you would like to take more than 18 credit hours.  You can complete the Overload Request Form here.

I only need 9 more credits to graduate…can I take only those 9 hours?  Students can request an Underload from the College of LAS by completing the Underload request form here. (Make sure to select the correct form–one is for graduating seniors and the other is for non-graduating students.) Make sure that you understand the consequences of not being a full-time student–including any impact on tuition, fees, and student insurance (or access to a parent’s insurance coverage).

I’m graduating in Summer or Fall 21…How can I add myself to the graduation list? Graduating seniors need to tell the College of LAS that you are planning to graduate this term by adding yourself to the graduation list (also called the pending degree list) in Student Self-Service when you register for classes. Find more details here. Note: This step is completely separate from participation in any Commencement ceremonies.  Find details about graduation ceremonies here.

What is Supporting Coursework–and what should I take?
That depends on whether you are an Economics major or an Econometrics major. Either way, your Supporting Coursework must be approved by an Economics advisor and submitted by your advisor to LAS. Your Supporting Coursework will appear in your degree audit after it is submitted by your advisor to the College.

  • Economics majors take at least 18 hours of Supporting Coursework. These courses: Cannot be Economics, and 12 of the 18 hours must be 200 level or above. Most Econ majors use a minor or a second major, but Supporting Coursework could also be thematically related courses–such as a group of courses in different disciplines that are about healthcare, environment, gender studies, etc.
  • Econometrics & Quantitative Economics majors take 6 hours of quantitative Supporting Coursework.  For EQE majors, these courses must be preapproved quantitative courses such as Math, CS, or Stat.  Or you can use courses that satisfy the campus Quantitative 2 Gen Ed requirement (note that they must be Quant 2 and not Quant 1).  They cannot be courses that are already required (such as Math 231, Stat 385). Not sure whether a course is quant? Ask an Econ Advisor to preapprove it for you.
  • CS + Econ majors do not have a Supporting Coursework requirement.