Spring 21 Registration Guide for Econ Students

In this Guide you will find helpful links, tips, and resources for Spring 21 Registration.

When can you register? Your Time Ticket will allow you to register for both Winter and Spring during Priority Registration, which will be from November 30 to December 9.  Time tickets are allocated based on a variety of factors including credit hours completed and special group identification. Click here for more details on time ticket allocations for Spring 21 Priority Registration.

Before Registration

Prepare for registration by reviewing the Registration Checklist here.

Remove any financial or immunization holds, request instructor approval (if needed), or make sure that you meet the prerequisites for the classes you are planning to take.

Pre-plan your schedule. Using Enhanced Registration allows you to create your entire Course Plan (but note that creating a plan alone does NOT register you for classes. During your registration time you can then register from your created plan.) Click here to find out how.

During Registration

Get Drop-In Registration Help. Need a little help? We will offer drop-in Zoom registration help with Econ Ambassadors during the week of December 7–look for days and times in next week’s Econ Newsletter. Feel free to pop into the Zoom if you have any registration questions!

Look for Course Restrictions. Some courses–or certain sections of a course– may be restricted to certain groups, like students in that major, or may require junior or senior standing. These restrictions are all listed in Course Explorer. We recommend opening Course Explorer while you are registering in Student Self-Service so that you can see all restrictions.

Here’s a quick video  on how to find a  course’s restrictions:

Registration Errors–Why can’t I register for this section?

What does Closed Section or College Restriction mean? Check our list of Registration Errors here to find common errors and how to fix them.

All About Econ 400 Level Courses

Econ 400 level courses and topics
We offer a wide variety of 400 level Economics courses on topics ranging from labor, finance,  and law, to history, econometrics, and more.

Our Spring 2021 Econ 400 Handout here includes brief descriptions of every 400 level Econ course we offer in the spring term.

You can also watch the video of our Econ 400 Level Night here. Each professor presented a brief overview of their course.

How many?

We generally recommend taking no more than three Econ 400 level courses in one semester. This will allow sufficient time to focus on the workload of the courses without being overwhelmed.

Use the major planning sheets to review degree requirements:

Economics majors Use the BA Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

Econometrics & Quantitative Economics majors Use the BS Econometrics & Quantitative Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

CS + Economics majors Use the BS, Computer Science + Economics degree requirements worksheet here.

After Registration

Some courses outside of the Economics department may have restrictions that will be lifted after the date you register but before the first day of class. For example, Computer Science lists its course restrictions here. 

The last day to ADD a full semester course for Spring is February 5. The last day to DROP a full semester Spring course is March 19.  Find all Spring 2021 Academic Deadlines here.

Winter Term Registration
Winter term courses begin Dec. 21 and end Jan. 15. Undergraduate students can register for a maximum of one Winter term course.

The last day to ADD a Winter course is December 20. The last day to DROP a Winter course is January 3. Find all Winter 2020-21 Academic Deadlines here.

Other Registration Questions

How many hours can I register for? To maintain full-time student status, register for 12 to 18 credit hours.

Can I register for more than 18 hours?  The maximum hours you can register for on your own is 18. However, you can request an overload from the College of LAS if you would like to take more than 18 credit hours.  You can complete the Overload Request Form here.

I only need 9 more credits to graduate…can I take only those 9 hours?  Students can request an Underload from the College of LAS by completing the Underload request form here. (Make sure to select the correct form–one is for graduating seniors and the other is for non-graduating students.) Make sure that you understand the consequences of not being a full-time student–including any impact on tuition, fees, and student insurance (or access to a parent’s insurance coverage).

I’m graduating…How can I add myself to the graduation list? Graduating seniors need to tell the College of LAS that you are planning to graduate this term by adding yourself to the graduation list (also called the pending degree list) in Student Self-Service when you register for classes. Find more details here. Note: This step is completely separate from participation in any Commencement ceremonies. Stay tuned for additional developments about Commencement ceremonies. 

What is Supporting Coursework–and what should I take?
That depends on whether you are an Economics major or an Econometrics major. Either way, your Supporting Coursework must be approved by an Economics advisor and submitted by your advisor to LAS. Your Supporting Coursework will appear in your degree audit after it is submitted by your advisor to the College.

  • Economics majors take at least 18 hours of Supporting Coursework. These courses: Cannot be Economics,  and 12 of the 18 hours must be 200 level or above. Most Econ majors use a minor or a second major, but Supporting Coursework could also be thematically related courses–such as a group of courses in different disciplines that are about healthcare, environment, gender studies, etc.
  • Econometrics & Quantitative Economics majors take 6 hours of quantitative Supporting Coursework.  For EQE majors, these courses must be preapproved quantitative courses such as Math, CS, or Stat.  They cannot be courses that are already required (such as Math 231, Stat 385). Not sure whether a course is quant? Ask an Econ Advisor to preapprove it for you.
  • CS + Econ majors do not have a Supporting Coursework requirement.