Week 5: Fusion Confusion

As Toheeb so wisely put it in his post, this class has gone from 0-100 in about 2 seconds, or more realistically 2 class meetings. For the past two weeks, we’ve been learning how to use Autodesk’s Fusion 360 CAD software.

In our first class learning how to use this program, we were joined by Autodesk expert Lucas Ewing. The first half of class was spent learning more about Lucas, his qualifications and experience, and navigating the general layout of Fusion. The second half of class is when things got very interesting. Our first task was learning how to create a pen tip, inspired by a Bic ballpoint pen, guided by our expert.

Now, I’m going to take a guess and say that there are two types of people reading this post: those who are familiar with Fusion or CAD in general, and those who are not. Both are probably saying to themselves, “A pen tip… What’s so special about that?!” Well, for the 20 of us using this program for the first time this task seemed like a mammoth undertaking. I had no problem following along with Lucas, but when I tried to recreate the process at home, I could not select the sketch plane that I wanted revolved. A week and a class later, and after asking a few people, it turned out my problem had a simple solution. I was in the wrong workspace *facepalm*. This took me days to figure out.

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.15.58 PM

The pen tip I created in class.

For our next class, Vishal brought in campus Autodesk experts Gina Taylor and Nicole Chimienti. Our task this week was to create a lamp in fusion. However, there was a problem for me; for our homework the previous week, I had decided to be a little ambitious and create a lamp! Luckily for me, I was still able to get something out of the lesson as Gina and Nicole used different processes than me to create a similar product. It was very enjoyable getting to see multiple workflows.

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 10.13.55 PM

My beautiful lamp 🙂

All in all, despite the slight confusion I had navigating the layout, I can see that Fusion is a very powerful modeling tool that will come in extremely handy this semester! I can’t wait to see what else there is to learn.

One thought on “Week 5: Fusion Confusion

1. I am so glad I was not the only one to feel confused. (Also nice quote from Toheeb, which I also quoted, haha). Your pen tip looks excellent! I totally feel your struggles about being in the wrong workspace. Try watching some youtube tutorials– they really helped me. 🙂