Week 1 | Andrew Qu

While I’ve had a decent amount of exposure to 3D printing as a concept in print media and in theoretical discussion, I haven’t had the opportunity to experience it in person. This week, guest speaker John Hornick continued the conceptual discussion on “making” and 3D printing while also expanding my horizons on the perspective change that would be required to bring the technology into industries such as fashion and distributed manufacturing. As such, my experiences thus far still remain in a  hypothetical world. This makes it difficult for me to grasp an idea that I can truly pursue.

However, bits and pieces of reading and lecture have been milling around in my mind and I seem to have more interest in:

• Wearables and fashion – how 3Dp can impact garment and footwear construction and design
  • Daily Use Doodads – contraptions of any size that make life easier
  • Internet of Things…Things – Connectivity-enabled physical objects embedded in a data-rich environment

With these broad topics in mind, I hope to develop the proper ‘maker’ mindset in future classes and bring something that was once just an idea to life!

4 thoughts on “Week 1 | Andrew Qu

1. Hey! I really like how you picked up on the potential of 3D printing in garment and footwear construction, it will be cool to see how that develops!

2. Hello Andrew! That is really cool how you’ve had some exposure to 3D printing in a discussion setting. The only real exposure I had to 3D printing is from my internship with State Farm at Research Park last semester. I guess you could say I am excited to experience both the making and knowledge aspect of 3D printing from taking this course! Also, I think it’s really cool how “wearables and fashion” interest you. Hopefully, you can 3D print a wearable object by the end of this course! Anyways, I look forward to meeting and learning with you for the next couple of months.

3. The Idea of making clothes by 3D printing sounds really awesome, I know it was lightly brought up in class last week, that along with all the other application that a printer has it can change any industry.

4. 3D printing contraptions for daily use sounds really interesting! I hope we get to make our own unique items (that can be sold…?) and see if it works out.