The Scholarly Commons Internship Program is offering up to two one-year graduate hourly internships for the 2017-2018 academic year for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign doctoral students in the humanities and social sciences. Students currently in the 3rd year or beyond of their doctoral program who have completed required coursework are eligible to apply. One intern will focus on the digital humanities; the second will focus on the digital humanities or computational social sciences.
Scholarly Commons Interns will be expected to be in-residence approximately ten hours per week. The majority of their time will be allocated to pursuit of research projects proposed by the Intern that draw upon Scholarly Commons and University Library resources and materials. These projects may intersect with the Interns’ dissertation research. Interns also will contribute a select amount of time to Scholarly Commons’ training and research support services in the digital scholarship topics and skill areas in which they have expertise. Example contributions could include teaching a Savvy Researcher workshop, holding scheduled open hours in the Scholarly Commons, or consulting with researchers by appointment.
Graduate interns will also be assigned one or more “library mentors” from the Scholarly Commons and University Library. Interns may work with Library staff outside the Scholarly Commons depending on the projects they pursue during the internship period.
- Open to doctoral students who have completed all coursework
- Expertise or strongly demonstrated interest in research in the humanities or social sciences
- Demonstrated interest or experience in digital scholarship
- Demonstrated skill(s) in computational tools and approaches related to Scholarly Commons resources and services (e.g., statistical analysis in SAS, GIS, Python programming, data visualization, text mining)
- Letter of application
- Statement of your current or proposed research in digital scholarship and how it will use University of Illinois Library and/or Scholarly Commons resources (one page max)
- Current curriculum vitae
The internship will pay an hourly rate of $20.98 for approximately 10 hours per week during the fall 2017 and spring 2018 semesters.
Submit application materials by May 30, 2017 to Emilie Staubs (estaubs [at] illinois [dot] edu).
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have about the position or how to apply. Good luck, and we look forward to hearing from you!