The Community Healing and Resistance Through Storytelling (C-HeARTS) Collaborative is a group of interdisciplinary scholars and community members exploring community healing among African Americans living in Urbana-Champaign.
Goals of C-HeARTS
- Build sustainable partnerships with community members, scholars, and professionals interested in African-American community healing.
- Develop a framework of community healing through storytelling and resistance.
- Create and capture the perceptions of community healing through digital storytelling.
- Highlight community members’ experiences with racial trauma such as gun violence at the Voices of Community Healing Dialogue, a celebratory community event to strengthen university-community partnerships by working together to foster health and well-being.
Why C-HeARTS Matters?
- Racial trauma has a profound interpersonal and intergenerational impact on the lived experiences of African-Americans.
- Racial trauma is linked to high rates of physical disease and psychological distress.
Members of the C-HeARTS Team