The AREMA board is excited to return to in-person events this semester! That starts this Tuesday, September 7th, with a presentation from Mr. Marty Schlenker. He will bring his 23 years of experience, including his long tenure as assistant vice president of service design at BNSF. He will present on rail freight and urban mobility. The meeting will take place at NCEL 1310 and food will be provided! We’re looking forward to seeing you all there!
IKOS USA is a consulting firm specialized in the railway industry with expertise in train control & signaling, communications, electrification, infrastructure, and rolling stock. A few examples of their current projects include the implementation of NYC’s MTA PTC system (design, testing & commissioning, and RAMS), the validation and system integration of the Acela II’s braking system, and NYCT Queen Blvd CBTC upgrade. IKOS has 1100 engineers spread internationally and they will be accepting CVs during the presentation! Use this link to join the meeting on 4/13 at 5:00 PM CDT.
Join us Wednesday March 24th at 5:00 central for a general meeting with Quandel Consultants! Quandel is a Chicago-based railroad consulting firm, which focuses on passenger rail improvement. Current projects they are working on include double tracking 9 miles between Dearborn and Ypsilanti, MI for MDOT, increasing passenger rail speeds to 110 mph between Kalamazoo and Dearborn, increasing the number of Amtrak Hiawatha Service round trips between Chicago and Milwaukee from 7 to 10, and implementing new Amtrak service between Chicago and the Quad Cities. After the presentation, the floor will be opened up to networking, so make sure to bring your resume! Project engineers Mike Meyer and Adrian Diaz de Rivera will be presenting. Mike Meyer has worked at Quandel for the past 6 years after earning his Bachelors in Civil Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Adrian Diaz de Rivera is a RailTEC alumnus who also served as student chapter president in 2019. Use this link to join the meeting on 3/24 at 5:00 pm central.
Join us Thursday March 4th at 6:00 pm central for a presentation from Brightline West. This revolutionary project will connect Los Angeles and Las Vegas with fully electric high-speed rail that can reach a top speed of 200 mph, reducing the trip time from 6 hours by car to a projected 3 hours by train. The presenter is Tom Roadcap, a RailTEC alumnus who served as the UIUC AREMA Student Chapter president in 2016! Use this link to join the meeting on 3/4 at 6:00 pm central. Learn more about the project here.
This Wednesday, February 3rd, the UIUC AREMA Student Chapter will be hosting our first general meeting of the spring 2021 semester. We will begin with a board transition, and then turn the floor over to Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) for a presentation about automated track inspection. They operate six passenger lines in our nation’s capital, and regularly saw over 600,000 daily trips before the lockdown. We’re excited to welcome them!
You can access the meeting with the following link:
- The AREMA SC will be holding a general meeting featuring Alstom!
- Alstom is a manufacturer of rail equipment and signals. They will be holding an information session on Thursday, February 20, 2020.
- Bring your resume!
- Dinner will be served at 5:45 PM and the meeting will start at 6:00 PM in 1311 Yeh Student Center!
- The AREMA SC will be hosting a general meeting featuring Stacy and Witbeck!
- Stacy and Witbeck is one of the country’s largest heavy civil contractors and a top builder of light rail, commuter rail, and streetcar systems. They have constructed numerous projects including light rail systems in Portland, Denver, and Dallas, streetcar systems in Seattle, Kansas City, and Detroit, and commuter rail in California, Washington, Oregon, and Utah.
- The meeting will be held on January 27th, 2020 at 6:00 PM in 2312 Newmark Civil Engineering Lab.
- Dinner will be served at 5:45 PM.
- The AREMA SC will be hosting a general meeting featuring Canadian Pacific Railway!
- Canadian Pacific Railway is a class 1 railroad operating principally in Canada and the Midwestern United States.
- Karl Rittmeyer, CP’s Assistant Chief Engineer for the U.S. Division and a UIUC alumnus, will be presenting.
- The meeting will be held at 6 pm on Tuesday, November 19th in 2312 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory. Dinner will be served at 5:45.
- The AREMA Student Chapter will be hosting a joint general meeting with the ITE Student Chapter featuring Stacy and Witbeck!
- Stacy and Witbeck is one of the country’s largest heavy civil contractors and a top builder of light rail, commuter rail, and streetcar systems. Projects they have constructed include light rail systems in Portland, Denver, and Dallas, streetcar systems in Seattle, Kansas City, and Detroit, and commuter rail in California, Washington, Oregon, and Utah.
- The meeting will be held at 6 pm on Monday, November 11th in 3310 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory. Dinner will be served at 5:45.
The AREMA SC will be hosting a general meeting featuring Union Pacific Railroad on Wednesday, October 30!
Union Pacific Railroad is one of the largest Class 1 railroads in North America with 42,000 employees and over 32,000 miles of track in 23 states. Brev Holder, a supervisor of Track Maintenance and UIUC alumnus, will be hosting a meeting on the historic spring 2019 flooding of UP’s mainline tracks.
The meeting will be held at 6 pm on Wednesday, October 30th in 2312 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory. Free Black Dog will be served at 5:45pm!