Welcome to the Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society at the University of Illinois! You can easily become a member and join the excitement of atmospheric sciences. Read our constitution to learn more about our organization.
As a Student Chapter of the American Meteorological Society and Registered Student Organization with the university, any student at UIUC who has an interest in atmospheric sciences is more than welcome to join! Our organization facilitates interaction between students in all stages of academic and professional development.
Here is a summary of the objectives of SCAMS@UIUC:
- Act as an interface between students interested in the atmospheric sciences at UIUC with the rest of the university
- Serve as a conduit between students interested in the atmospheric sciences at UIUC with a national professional organization: the American Meteorological Society
- Initiate and encourage interaction between students interested in the atmospheric sciences at UIUC with the Champaign-Urbana area community
- Promote and organize social and professional events and activities
- Serve as a vehicle to communicate and collaborate with other atmospheric sciences student organizations at other universities
- Act as an outlet for relief from pressures of academia
- Promote the welfare of all members
SCAMS@UIUC, while associated with the National AMS, is its own entity. This means that your membership to the National AMS does not mean you’re automatically in the student chapter here or the local chapter in Central Illinois, or vice-versa. You have to apply for membership for each separately.
How to become a member of our Student Chapter of the AMS:
- The Student Chapter of the AMS is open to current University of Illinois students.
- Attend one of our meetings or events listed on our calendar, or e-mail an officer!
- Dues are $10 for the entire academic year.
How to become a student member of the National AMS: