CONSTITUTION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
CHAPTER OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CIVIL ENGINEERS
ARTICLE I. NAME
1. The name of this organization shall be the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Student Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers, hereafter abbreviated ASCE UIUC.
ARTICLE II. OBJECTIVE
1. The objective of this Chapter is the same as the national chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers in that it facilitates the advancement of technology, encourages lifelong learning, promotes professionalism and the profession, and develops civil engineering leaders, and advocates infrastructure and environmental stewardship.
ARTICLE III. RELATIONSHIPS
Section I. American Society of Civil Engineers
1. ASCE UIUC shall be under the jurisdiction of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
2. Specifically, the Chapter lies in Region 3 and falls under the East Branch of the Central
Illinois Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
3. The Chapter will subscribe to the constitution, Bylaws, Rules of Policy and Procedure, and the Code of Ethics as adopted by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
4. Therefore, if any provisions of this constitution shall at any time conflict with provisions adopted by the American Society of Civil Engineers, the provisions in the constitution and Bylaws shall become null and void.
Section II. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1. ASCE UIUC shall also be under the jurisdiction of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
2. Specifically, the Chapter is under the College of Engineering and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
3. The Chapter will also subscribe to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
4. Additionally, the Chapter will be a Registered Student Organization of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and follow the rules and regulations of that section of the University.
5. Therefore, if any provisions of this constitution shall at any time conflict with provisions adopted by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the provisions in the constitution and Bylaws shall become null and void.
ARTICLE IV. MEMBERSHIP
1. Membership of this Chapter shall consist of undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the University and who are in good standing via payment of Chapter dues.
2. Members of ASCE UIUC shall subscribe to the Constitution and Bylaws of the Chapter as well as the Code of Ethics, provided by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
3. Membership shall not be denied regardless of race, creed, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or veteran status.
4. Membership of ASCE UIUC does not automatically grant student membership to the
American Society of Civil Engineers, nor is it the responsibility of anyone other than the
individual to obtain that membership, if desired.
ARTICLE V. DUES
1. The schedule of annual dues shall be established, and when established may be modified by a two-thirds vote of the Board. The schedule of dues shall be set forth in the Bylaws.
ARTICLE VI. EXECUTIVE BOARD
1. The Executive Board, hereafter called the Board, shall consist of chapter officers, listed in the Bylaws, one (1) liaison from the Concrete Canoe Team and one (1) liaison from the Steel Bridge Team. Liaison appointments are detailed in Article VII. These members shall be voting members when the Board votes.
2. Chapter Officers shall be elected at the end of a semester and hold the position for
following two (2) semesters. The timeline of installation of Officers shall be outlined in
3. The Officer must be present on campus during his/her term.
4. The President shall have served at least two (2) semesters on the Board prior to taking the position.
5. If an officer wishes to resign, he/she may step down. The officer shall submit a formal
letter of resignation to the president, or faculty advisor in the event the President resigns.
6. If an officer is not performing his/her duties, the Board may terminate the officer. The
termination procedure in the Bylaws shall be followed.
7. If a vacancy of a position occurs during the first half of the term, a special election shall be held at the next general meeting to fill the position. If the next general meeting is scheduled to occur within one week of the vacancy, the President will hold elections via letter ballot.
8. If a vacancy of a position occurs during the second half of the term, it shall be filled by Presidential appointment. If the President’s position is vacant, then the Board shall elect a new President and the new President shall appoint the now-vacant position on the Board.
9. Should a vacancy occur in the Concrete Canoe or Steel Bridge liaison position, the team is responsible for appointing a new liaison, not the President.
ARTICLE VII. CONCRETE CANOE AND STEEL BRIDGE
1. All members of Concrete Canoe and Steel Bridge shall become members of ASCE
UIUC, detailed in Article IV.
2. The teams shall appoint their own captain(s) and give their contact information along to the Board.
3. The teams shall appoint their own liaison to the Board, detailed in Article VI.
4. The liaisons for the Concrete Canoe Team and Steel Bridge Team must not have another position on the Board. There must be two liaisons, not one liaison for both teams.
ARTICLE VIII. ADVISORS
Section 1. Practitioner Advisors
1. The East Branch of the Central Illinois Section of the American Society of Civil
Engineers shall appoint two (2) practitioner advisors to the organization.
2. The appointment stands until the East Branch appoints a new practitioner advisor or the student chapter submits a request to the East Branch for a new advisor.
Section 2. Faculty Advisor
1. The position of faculty advisor shall be established by a two-thirds vote of the Board.
2. The faculty advisor shall be employed within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
3. If the Board deems the faculty advisor is deemed unfit to hold the position via a twothirds vote, the Board shall notify the faculty advisor of his/her termination and select a new advisor.
Section 3. Graduate Advisor(s)
1. Graduate advisor(s) shall be past Board members who are attending graduate school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and pursing a degree from the
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
2. Graduate advisor(s) shall not be considered Board members and receive no vote;
however, the advisor(s) are eligible to become a Member and have voting rights.
ARTICLE IX. AMENDMENTS AND BYLAWS
Section 1: Voting
1. All Members of ASCE UIUC have a right to vote on amendments and bylaws.
2. When voting takes place, the fraction of votes required includes all Members or Board, not just the number present.
Section 2: Amendments
1. An amendment to this constitution may be proposed by presenting to the Chapter
Secretary a petition stating the desired amendment and containing the signature of at least thirty percent (30%) of the Members of ASCE UIUC.
2. The Chapter Secretary shall send out an email to Members of ASCE UIUC that contains the petition and letter ballot for Members to vote upon. Members shall have two (2) business days to cast their ballot.
3. For the adoption of any amendment to the constitution, two-thirds of the valid ballots
shall be cast in favor of the amendment. An amendment that passes shall become
effective immediately, unless otherwise stated.
Section 3: Bylaws
1. Bylaws of this constitution shall be reviewed on an annual basis.
2. Any proposed change to the bylaws shall be presented to the Chapter Secretary in the form of a petition stating the desired change.
3. Every proposed bylaw shall be voted on individually.
4. Revisions to the bylaws must pass with two-thirds vote. Changes go into effect
immediately, unless otherwise stated.