Facebook uses object recognition technology to automatically provide a visual description of any image posted. You should always replace this text to provide a better description of the image.
To Edit Alt-Text:
- Click Photo/Video at the bottom of the Create Post screen.
- Select the photo you want to add.
- Click Edit Photo (paintbrush icon), then click Alt Text.
- The automatically generated text will be shown on the left side of your photo. Click Override generated alt text to edit it.
- Write your Alt-Text in the box. To change back to the automatically generated text, click Clear.
- To save your alt text, click Save in the bottom right.
To change the Alt-Text of a photo after you’ve posted it:
- Click the photo to open it.
- Click Options in the bottom right and select Change Alt Text.
- Click Override generated alt text or change the alt text in the text box. You can also click Clear to change your edited alt text back to the automatically generated text.
- Click Save.
Note: The above instructions are for Facebook Classic. The Beta version running as of the date of this post (November 2019) does not yet have the option to edit Alt-Text. Alt-Text is still being generated using the object recognition technology for images posted in the Beta version.
Additional information about Facebook’s automatic Alt-Text tool or further instructions on adding and editing photos is available in the Facebook Help Center.