Academic students interested in attending the 2017 CREDC Summer School have an opportunity to apply for the Student Program which funds the cost of registration fees, lodging, and meals while at the event (also see FAQs). Students attending the summer school will also have an opportunity to submit a resume to be distributed at the Job Fair & Information Session, submit a Lightning Talk proposal, and submit a poster session proposal.
Deadline for ALL application materials was
April 16 EXTENDED: April 30. We have a few spots still available, so we will accept applications on a rolling basis until those slots are filled.
Notification Date: Recipients from the initial round were notified on May 8.
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at a university or college in the United States. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated academic, research, and/or career interests in cybersecurity of energy delivery systems.
Application Requirements: All items must be received by the deadline of
April 16, 2017 SEE ABOVE for full consideration:
- Completed online application.
- An essay document that responds to essay questions (PDF upload w/online application). More information about essay provided below.
- Faculty letter of recommendation emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on where to send letter provided below.
About the Online Application:
- The online application provides an opportunity to save your work and return to complete and submit your application. You will receive an email with a link to return to the form. This email/link is the only way you can continue to access a saved application. The email will come from email@example.com and will say “Retake Form” in the subject line.
- Data for applications that have been started but not submitted by the deadline will be lost.
- This online application will email you a copy of your submitted answers, which also serves as a receipt/confirmation of your application. You may also want to forward this confirmation email to your faculty advisor when requesting a letter of recommendation.
Header – include at top of all pages:
- Full Name
- University or College Name
- Major of Study (i.e., Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc.)
- Degree you are pursuing and year/month you expect to receive degree
(example: MS, 2017-05)
Essay Questions – address the following questions, using each question as a section title in your essay. NOTE: There was an error in this list of essay questions. Questions #2 and #3 were updated as of April 7.
- What are your research interests and/or career goals? Responses to this may include brief summaries about field of research, thesis projects, and/or internships.
- How will this summer school opportunity benefit the above stated interests and goals?
- How do you plan to continue learning about cyber-physical systems beyond this summer school?
- How might your participation at this summer school help advance the missions and efforts of CREDC, the Department of Energy, and/or the Department of Homeland Security?*
*Click on hyperlinks to learn more about each organization’s mission/efforts as they relate to cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, and or enegy delivery systems and infrastructure.
Faculty Advisor Letter of Recommendation: Although you will be asked to provide your faculty advisor’s name and contact information with your application, you are responsible for requesting the letter and ensuring it is received by the application deadline. Instruct your faculty advisor to send the letter of recommendation to Amy Clay-Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also request that your advisor include the following in her/his letter:
- Your full name
- 1 or 2 brief paragraphs supporting your academic accomplishments, research, and/or interests in the fields of power engineering, cybersecurity, energy delivery systems, and/or cyber-physical systems.
You may also want to forward a copy of your submitted application email confirmation (which includes your responses) and a PDF copy of your essay when requesting your letter of recommendation.
Questions about the Student Program? Contact Amy Clay-Moore at email@example.com.