Guest post by Niki Gianni, a second year veterinary student and Illinois native. Besides the WMC, Niki has also volunteered with the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association to bring veterinary care to Arizona’s rural communities in need, and traveled to South America to volunteer with “Wildtracks Belize” by providing around-the-clock care for orphaned and sick manatees.
Recycling is just one way to protect natural resources and keep our Earth beautiful for future generations.
- Each year, Americans generate about 254 million TONS of trash, but only about 35% is recycled.
- Only about 5% of food waste is composted.
- Recycling a single aluminum soda can conserve the equivalent of 26 barrels of oil (153 million Btu energy units).
- About 42% of greenhouse gases come from the harvesting of materials/food or their production and transport. Therefore, by recycling, we are collectively reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Source for statistics: https://www.epa.gov/recycle
Ok, so we know recycling is important, but what are some resources for us living in Champaign-Urbana (C-U)? Since C-U Department of Public Works initiated its “Feed the Beast” recycling program (more here) in December 2010, more than 2 million pounds of recyclable items have been diverted from landfills! Let’s keep up the good work!
- If you live in the C-U area and would like to request curbside recycling pick-up at your residence, school, or workplace, please check out this page.
- What kind of items can be recycled in C-U? View a larger version here!
- While single use-type plastic bags (“grocery bags”) are not recyclable in regular blue bins, you can return clean plastic bags for recycling at County Market, Wal-Mart, Schnucks, and Meijier stores.
- Battery recycling: http://feedthething.org/2017/03/battery-recycling-program/
- To reduce stress on landfills, if you have furniture, clothing, or other household goods still in usable condition, please contact one of the following:
- Goodwill: 912 W. Anthony Dr. Champaign, IL (217) 359-8729
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore: 119 E. University Ave. Champaign, IL (217) 355-6460
- Salvation Army: 2212 N Market St. Champaign, IL (217) 373-7825
On Saturday, May 20, 2017, there will be a large electronics-recycling event. Televisions, DVD players, microwaves, computer parts, and other items will be accepted. Be sure to register in advance here: http://ecycle.simplybook.me/sheduler/manage/event/1/unit/1
Illinois Recycling Association: http://www.illinoisrecycles.org/
Recycling at UIUC: http://www.fs.illinois.edu/services/waste-management-and-recycling
Earth 911 (general info on sustainability): http://earth911.com/
Composting 101 by UIUC: https://web.extension.illinois.edu/homecompost/intro.cfm
DIY worm composting for an apartment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC9yAJ6WBM