Residency Considerations in Admission
- Preference is given to applicants who are residents of Illinois and who do not claim residency in another state. A portion of each class (approximately 30 seats of the entering class of 120) is offered to highly qualified nonresidents.
Deferral of Admission
- The Admissions Advisory Committee assumes the applicant, if offered admission, is fully prepared to enter the veterinary program starting in the next fall semester. Deferral of admission is considered on a case-by-case basis and granted only under extreme circumstances.
Petition for Deletion of Undergraduate Grades (Optional)
- The Admissions Advisory Committee recognizes that extraordinary circumstances may negatively affect the academic performance, and subsequently the grade point average, of a student. Applicants who have or will complete a BS/BA degree prior to the Fall 2013 semester class have the option of petitioning to delete grades earned during their first year of undergraduate work from the grade point average calculations. If mandated pre-requisite courses are included in your first year of study your petition will not be considered. You must provide an explanation of the circumstances that led to the poor academic performance.
- If you wish to petition the Admissions Advisory Committee to delete your first year of undergraduate grades from the calculations of your grade point average, you will have to fill out a form attesting such on the Supplemental Application that is required by the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Please contact our office if you have any questions regarding this information.
Petition to Ignore Academic Record Completed over six years ago (Optional)
- The Admissions Advisory Committee recognizes that an academic record completed over six years ago may not appropriately reflect the current academic abilities of the applicant. Applicants who completed a BS/BA degree (or higher) prior to the Fall 2007 Semester may petition to have all course work completed prior to that time ignored in the admission decision process.
- To be eligible for consideration for admission, the applicant must meet or exceed the requirements of Plan B. You must provide an explanation for why the course work completed prior to Fall 2006 Semester should be ignored.
- If you wish to petition the Admission Advisory Committee to ignore all course work completed prior to six years ago, you will have to complete a form in the Supplemental Application that the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine requires for the admission application process.
- Please contact our office if you have any questions regarding this information by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate Course Work Summary (Optional)
If you are completing or have completed an MS or PhD degree, the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Illinois recognizes the use of graduate course work in the calculation of your science GPA. Note that no more than eight (8) semester hours of graduate level independent study credit will be applied to the calculation of your science GPA. Please review the following rules:
- Use of Graduate Course Work in the Grade Point Average Calculations
The course must include the following criteria: a hypothesis was formulated and tested by the collection of experimental data, data were analyzed, conclusions were drawn concerning the validity of the hypothesis, and results were reported in an oral or written format.
No more than four semester hours of research-related credit will be applied to the calculation of the science GPA. You must provide contact information for the instructor of the course, or a knowledgeable member of the department faculty. The course must be completed and graded prior to the Fall 2013 semester.
- Thesis Research Credit
There are numerous ways Thesis Research is assigned a transcript grade. Some institutions assign a letter grade each semester, or quarter. Some assign a Pass/Fail (P/F) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) or Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) each semester. And still other institutions defer (DF) the grade each semester until the thesis is completed, at which time a grade change is filed and the appropriate transcript grade entered.
For the purpose of grade point average calculations, letter graded Thesis Research will be treated as a regular course. P/F, S/U, CR/NC, and DF graded Thesis Research will be assigned an equivalent letter grade (typically A) by endorsement by the thesis advisor. You can download endorsement forms in Microsoft 2000 or Acrobat PDF formats. No more that eight (8) semester hours of Thesis Research Credit will be applied to the calculation of the cumulative grade point averages.
- Independent Study Courses
If you have completed graduate level independent study courses which you wish to be included in the calculation of the science grade point average, you must submit forms with your supplemental application. No more than eight (8) semester hours of graduate level independent study will be applied to the calculation of the science grade point average.
All the forms that you will need can be found in the Supplemental Application that the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine requires for the application process.
Please contact our office if you have any questions regarding this information.