All applicants must complete and submit all of the following materials to be considered for admission to the DVM program. If any of the following materials are missing, the application will be considered incomplete and will be rejected without further consideration.
1. The Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application submitted through the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
The VMCAS application opens in June during each application cycle, so it is open for 4 full months before the due date.
- The application fee must be paid at the time of submission or the application is considered incomplete. Application fees are calculated on the basis of the number of colleges to which you are applying. The fee is payable with MasterCard and Visa.
- A minimum of 3 letters of reference must be submitted to VMCAS electronically. Illinois requires that
- One of the letters be from a practicing veterinarian familiar with the candidate
- One of the letters be from a professor or instructor familiar with the candidate
- None of the letters be from a relative, by blood or marriage.
2. The University of Illinois Supplemental Application
The supplemental application requires a non-refundable fee of $60 ($75 for international applicants). The fee must be paid at the time of application submission. The fee is payable with MasterCard and Visa.
3. Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Applicants must take the General GRE between August 1, 2012 and September 15, 2014.
- Scores must be sent to the College electronically.
- The reporting code for the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine is 1836.
- Scores must be received by October 2, 2014.
- If taking the examination more than one time, the higher composite score of valid examinations will be used.
- An examination is valid when all three components are completed at the same time within the required time period of the last two years.
- Additional information regarding the GRE can be found at http://www.gre.org.
4. Official transcripts from all post-secondary (post-high school) institutions you have attended are required.
- Transcripts are required even if
- Credits may show up as transfer credits on another institution’s transcript
- You took only one course at the institution, or
- You took the college credits during high school.
- Transcripts must be postmarked no later than September 1, 2014.
- Please note, the September 1st date is NOT a deadline, simply a recommended submission date. The DEADLINE for VMCAS 2015 is October 2nd, 2014, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Transcripts must be sent to: VMCAS – Transcripts, P.O. Box 9126, Watertown, MA 02471
CRITICAL Information for students about transcript verification: http://aavmc.org/transcriptver.aspx
- Recommended Transcript Deadline: September 1, 2014
- Last day to complete the GRE: September 15, 2014
- VMCAS 2015 Closing Date: October 2, 2014 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time (VMCAS Application and Evaluations)
- U of I Supplemental Application Deadline: October 2, 2014 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time (noon Central Standard Time)
- Fall Transcript Deadline (mailed to UICVM): February 1, 2015
Mailing Address (Transcripts): University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Room 2271G, Urbana, IL 61802
For any student currently enrolled in graduate school, a letter is required from the applicant’s advisor and department head stating that if accepted into veterinary college, the applicant will have made satisfactory arrangements for completion or release from the graduate program. Please send letters directly to the College of Veterinary’s DVM Admissions Office – not to VMCAS.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Annual Security Report
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Annual Security Report is available. This report includes statistics from the previous three years concerning reported crime that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and other safety information. You may obtain a paper copy of this report by contacting the Division of Public Safety or by accessing the following Web site: http://www.dps.illinois.edu/clery.htm.