2016 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship – Abroad
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) sponsors a competitive Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship for undergraduate students at UIUC who will be conducting research abroad. This initiative provides students with funds designed to subsidize travel and housing costs associated with the research.
- Students must be current UIUC undergraduate students at the time the research will be conducted, and be in good academic standing. GPA will be considered during the selection process.
- Funding is provided for students who are either pursuing their own research projects or working on a faculty-led project.
- The research must be conducted at a location outside of the United States and in conjunction with a university or research institute in that location.
- A letter of support must be provided by the supervising UIUC faculty member. The letter need not be long, but should contain the following elements:
- The title of the project and a brief description of the activities the student will engage in, the projected length of the project effort (i.e., 4 weeks, 5-6 weeks, etc), and the hoped-for outcomes.
- The name of the co-supervising individual(s) at the host institution, title(s), core expertise, and the current state of the collaboration (e.g., new, growing as of the last year, long-standing with several personnel exchanged, etc.) The idea of this description is simply to ensure that the applicant will enter a hospitable academic environment that is conducive to the proposed research, and wherein both the UIUC supervisor and the host co-supervisor have truly connected.
- An explicit statement that the host co-supervisor has agreed to supervise the student on this particular.
- If students use of the fruits of their work result in a presentation at a conference or campus event, there must be an acknowledgement of OUR for its support on the poster or in the paper.
- Students must indicate any other sources of funds either applied for or received, including department support or support from the UIUC supervisor or host co-supervisor. Failure to disclose additional support from another source will result in a denial of the request or the revocation of the award.
- Students who receive awards must enroll in an appropriate UIUC course. Many departments, schools and colleges offer courses with the title “Undergraduate Research Abroad.” If such an option is available, students should enroll in that course for the credit hours agreed upon between the student and the supervising UIUC faculty member. If such a course is not available, the student should consult with the advisor about which UIUC course number to use.
- Funding will normally be given directly to the student as a lump sum. Alternatively, arrangements can be made for the Undergraduate Research Office to reimburse expenses for travel.
- To apply, go to: http://go.illinois.edu/surfabroad2016.
- The deadline for applications is February 29, 2016, with winners notified by March 14, 2016.
Students are encouraged to consult their college or department advisors and individual faculty members for information about research abroad opportunities. OUR does not maintain a list of such opportunities.
OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
Fifth Floor Illini Union Bookstore
807 S. Wright Street, M/C 317
Urbana, IL 61801
Office phone: (217) 300-5453