Although PLAS programming is finished for the semester, there are some campus workshops, scholarships and internships of note, as well as some law school admissions webinars. And…our annual PLAS Internship Newsletter will be posted on our Compass page this WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5!! Finally, in case you missed the big announcement last week, registration for the June and July 2019 LSAT administrations will open on December 12! Click here to read last week’s LSAT blog post for more important information about these administrations and scroll down to learn more about upcoming campus events!
Career Center Events—Click here to visit the Career Center’s website for more information or to register for these sessions.
- Global Careers: Peace Corps General Information Meeting — Dec. 3, 6-7pm, TCC Room 143
- Making the Most of Your Summer, Dec. 5, 4-5pm, TCC Room 143
- Resume/Cover Letter/Linked In Reviews
- Dec. 3 , 2-4:30 pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm Ikenberry Commons
- Dec. 4, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Dec. 5, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center, 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Dec. 6, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
- Dec. 7, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center
- Dec. 9, 5-7:30pm Ikenberry Commons
Social Justice Education Paraprofessionals – Applications Due December 12
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until December 12th for 2018-2019 Social Justice Education Paraprofessionals! Complete your application here.
The Social Justice Educator Paraprofessional Program is a 3-semester peer education program powered by students for students. The Social Justice Education Paraprofessional Program is designed to promote diversity and student leadership by providing intensive training for students in areas of knowledge, awareness, and skills related to issues of diversity and social justice. Through this program, paraprofessionals serve as a campus leaders in social justice by developing and facilitating educational programs for the campus. Social Justice Education Paraprofessionals receive 11 advanced credit hours in Psychology. For more information, click on this link.
Law School Admissions Events
NYU Law Admissions Office – Online Information Sessions
These presentations will be a special broadcast of a live information session with an admissions representative. Participants will have an opportunity to submit questions about NYU’s curriculum, student life, and the admissions process via the online chat tool. The Online Information Sessions will be held at the following times (all times are Eastern Time):
- Wednesday, December 5 at 3:00 pm
- Thursday, January 10 at 12:00 pm
Please register for one of the Online Information Sessions. Registrants will receive access instructions the day before the online session. If you have any questions, please let us know at email@example.com.
Harvard and Yale Law School Online Webinars
Harvard and Yale Law School would like to invite to you to participate in their Online Information Sessions. Participants will have an opportunity to submit questions about the universities curriculum, student life, and the admissions process. Follow the link to register for these events.
Coming soon: The Pre-Law Internship Newsletter will be posted THIS WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5 over on our Compass page!
Scholarships–Now is a great time to apply!
National and International Scholarships Program: Fulbright UK Summer Institutes – Info Session December 7, 4-5pm, 514 IUB
Freshmen and Sophomores,
Do you want to study in the United Kingdom this summer for free? The Fulbright UK Summer Institutes offer nine programs for 2019:
- Interested in global leadership? Join the Future Leaders of a Global Age summer institute at the University of Westminster in London.
- Interested in the environment? Study climate change issues at the University of Exeter.
- Interested in social justice or education policy? Explore these in the post-conflict setting of Northern Ireland at Queen’s University Belfast.
- Interested in the performing arts? Practice combat and swordplay, movement, dance and design at Shakespeare’s Globe Theater.
- Interested in arts as activism? Consider how social policy, philosophy and the arts have been combined to promote social change at the University of Bristol.
- Interested in technology and design? Explore Scotland’s creative and technological industries through study at the University of Strathclyde and the Glasgow School of Art.
- Interested in media? Explore film and media culture in the UK at the University of Birmingham
- Interested in British or Irish studies? Explore British culture at the University of Sussex or Irish studies at the Queen’s University Belfast.
- Interested in international politics? Study identity and nationhood at the Aberystwyth University in Wales.
The Summer Institutes cover the majority of the participant costs (round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the university, room and board, and social programs). Students must be US citizen freshmen or sophomores with a GPA of 3.7 or above.
More information about the institutes and their application can be found at: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-uk/uk-summer-institutes
Our info session will tell you everything you need to know about the benefits of attending a Fulbright UK Summer Institute and how to be a competitive applicant. We’ll also hear from previous Illinois recipients.
UK Summer Fulbright Information Session: Friday, December 7th, 3:00-4:00 pm, 514 Illini Union Bookstore Building
DUE THIS SATURDAY, DEC. 8–University of Illinois Latina/Latino Alumni Association Scholarship. Open to Latina/Latino undergraduate and graduate students enrolled full-time at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign during the 2018-2019 academic school year. In honor of our ten year anniversary and thanks to a generous donor, IllinoisLLAA is able to grant two $5,000 scholarships to either an undergraduate or graduate student, one of which is reserved for an undocumented student. Click here to apply.
DUE DEC.31–Health and Wellness $2,000 Scholarship. Available to students enrolled at an accredited college or university. You must have at least a 3.4 GPA and submit an essay of 800-1000 words, promoting a practical approach to healthy lifestyle during college years and how these habits can be sustained over a lifetime. Additionally, you must demonstrate detailed knowledge of health and wellness and discuss why healthy living is a lifetime endeavor. Click here to apply.
DUE JAN. 19–Virginia M. Wagner Educational Award. Open to female students in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin who are attending college/university in pursuit of a bachelors, masters, or doctoral degree. Click here to apply.
DUE FEB. 15 — Fred S. Bailey Scholarship for Cause Driven Leaders
The Bailey Undergraduate awards are $3000 awards ($1500/semester) given each year to undergraduate students at the University of Illinois who have demonstrated positive impact and commitment as a result of service, community involvement, leadership, and action. Financial need and academic achievement will also be considered. University of Illinois – Urbana campus undergraduate students in all programs are eligible to apply. Applications due February 15. For more information or to apply online, visit: www.universityymca.org/bailey Contact: Kasey Umland, Director, Bailey Scholarship Program, University YMCA 217.337.1514; firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUE MARCH 19–Create-a-Greeting-Card $10,000 Scholarship. Open to currently enrolled high school and college students in the United States. To enter, you must design a holiday, get well, or birthday greeting card and submit your work to be judged. Your photo, art, or graphics submitted must be your own original work and you must be at least 14 years of age to be eligible for this award. Click here for more details.
Interested in other scholarships? PLAS has collected information on over 150 scholarships–for both undergrads and incoming law students–on our Scholarships Spreadsheet over on our Pre-Law Compass page. It’s a wide variety of scholarships based on everything from being left-handed to making a video to tweeting, and deadlines vary, so check it out!