Pre-Law 101, TODAY, October 22, 4-5pm in 514 Illini Union Bookstore Building
This workshop is designed for incoming students who are new to pre-law or are interested in learning more about it. We will cover: What it means to be pre-law at Illinois, course selection, majors, and extracurriculars, building a pre-law resume, and what law schools are really looking for. We will outline a four year plan to maximize your undergraduate experiences in order to make a great law school candidate. We’ll also take any questions about law school and legal careers.
Each Pre-Law 101 session is the same, so pick the one that best suits your schedule. Incoming students should attend a Pre-Law 101 prior to setting up an individual pre-law advising appointment. Bring your questions!
Applying to Law School Webinar–Addenda: Character & Fitness and Optional Essays, Friday, Oct. 26 at 2:00 pm. During this webinar, we will discuss:
- What Character & Fitness questions are
- How to draft responses to required disclosures
- Tips for keeping required disclosures professional
- How to maximize an optional essay without recycling the personal statement
- Considerations for when an optional statement should–and shouldn’t–be submitted
Register here for this webinar by October 24. Webinar link and handouts will be sent to registrants before the session.
College of Law Events–ALL are invited to attend!
Illinois Supreme Court Justice Mary Jane Theis to present Dean’s Public Engagement Lecture–Oct. 25, 12pm-1pm, Max L. Rowe Auditorium in the Law Building. The Dean’s Public Engagement Lecure Series aims to increase integration between the legal academy, the legal and business professions, and the public. Hosted by Dean Vikram David Amar, the lecture series brings thought leaders, including distinguished judges, lawyers, and businesspersons to the College of Law to talk on cutting-edge issues affecting law, justice, business, and government.Lecture is free and open to the public. Lunch will be provided for lecture attendees.
Upcoming: Midwest VIRTUAL Law Fair on November 14! Were you unable to attend our Law School Fair? Over 25 Midwest law schools will be available to chat online with you about the admissions process, their schools, scholarships, journals, etc. This event is FREE and participants don’t need to travel! Click here for more information and to register.
Career Center Events—Click here to visit the Career Center’s website for more information or to register for these sessions.
- Global Careers: Singapore — Oct. 25, 6-8pm Interview Suite Room 213
- Well-O-Ween–Oct. 23, 4-7 pm at the ARC
- Resume/Cover Letter/Linked In Reviews
- Oct.22 , 2-4:30 pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm Ikenberry Commons
- Oct. 23, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center; 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Oct. 24, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center, 5-7:30pm BrewLab Coffee Shop
- Oct. 26, 2-4:30pm TCC Resource Center, 5-7:30 Ikenberry Commons
Law School Open Houses
Some fall law school open house opportunities, including one this past weekend at Chicago-Kent, have already passed. Make sure you check the websites of your selected schools for these very helpful events.
- University of Chicago: Monday, October 29, from 1-5pm or Monday, November 19 (NOTE: That’s during Fall Break!), from 1-5pm. Click here for more details.
- Chicago-Kent: Saturday, November 10, 9:00am-12:30pm. Click here for more details.
- DePaul University: Saturday, November 10 – 10:00 am-1:00 pm. Click here for more details.
- University of Illinois: You can schedule a visit, attend a class, and meet with faculty, students, and senior administrators to discover all that Illinois Law has to offer. If you are on campus, now is a great time to visit! Click here for more details.
- John Marshall: Open House Saturday, November 3, 9am-12pm. Click here for more details.
- Loyola-Chicago: Information Sessions are offered TODAY Monday, October 15 at 11:15 am; Monday, November 19 (Note: That’s during Fall Break!) at 11:15 am; or Friday, November 30 at 12:15 pm. Click here fore more details.
- Northern Illinois University: NIU Law offers Information Sessions at both their DeKalb location (12:00 pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) and in the Chicago Loop (on Tuesdays at 11:00 am). Click here for more details.
- They are also hosting a November Open House: Admissions Strategies on Saturday, November 10. Click here for more details.
- Northwestern University: Virtual tour available. In addition, student guided tours are offered Mondays and Fridays at 12:00 pm. In addition, class visits can be scheduled while classes are in session. Click here for more details.
- Southern Illinois University: Visits can be scheduled Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Click here to schedule a visit. There are opportunities to sit in on classes throughout the fall.
For more information about upcoming Open House Days and how to prepare for these visits, go here to our blog post from October 3.
Scholarships and Other Campus Opportunities
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship
Campus Deadline: November 26, 2018
The Goldwater is for juniors or exceptional sophomores who are current U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or resident aliens. The Goldwater awards one- or two-year $7,500 awards to students who demonstrate strong evidence of contributing to the technological advances of the U.S. Applicants should be committed to pursuing a Ph.D in the research fields of mathematics, sciences, or engineering.