Now is the time to schedule law school visits and register for open house events!
Open House/Tour Info for Illinois Law Schools–Fall 2018
Some schools schedule formal open houses and others require you to choose a date for a visit. Open houses are a great opportunity to visit the campus, make a strong first impression, sit in on the class, see what the students and professors are like, and a great opportunity to answer all your questions. Here are some options for visits and open houses for Illinois law schools:
- University of Chicago: Monday, October 29, from 1-5pm or Monday, November 19 (NOTE: That’s during Fall Break!), from 1-5pm. Click here for more details.
- Chicago-Kent: October Admissions Workshop Saturday, October 13, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Click here for more details.
- DePaul University: Saturday, November 10 – 10:00 am-1:00 pm. Click here for more details.
- University of Illinois: You can schedule a visit, attend a class, and meet with faculty, students, and senior administrators to discover all that Illinois Law has to offer. If you are on campus, now is a great time to visit! Click here for more details.
- John Marshall: Open House Saturday, November 3, 9am-12pm. Click here for more details.
- Loyola-Chicago: Information Sessions are offered Monday, October 15 at 11:15 am, Monday, November 19 (Note: That’s during Fall Break!) at 11:15 am, or Friday, November 30 at 12:15 pm. Click here fore more details.
- Northern Illinois University: NIU Law offers Information Sessions at both their DeKalb location (12:00 pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) and in the Chicago Loop (on Tuesdays at 11:00 am). Click here for more details.
- They are also hosting a November Open House: Admissions Strategies on Saturday, November 10. Click here for more details.
- Northwestern University: Virtual tour available. In addition, student guided tours are offered Mondays and Fridays at 12:00 pm. IN addition, class visits can be scheduled while classes are in session. Click here for more details.
- Southern Illinois University: Visits can be scheduled Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Click here to schedule a visit. There are opportunities to sit in on classes throughout the fall.
3 Things To Do for a Law School Visit or Open House
Once you decide to attend a law school open house or tour, here are a few things you should do.
- REGISTER! Make you are following the school’s directions and reserve a spot for the open house or tour.
- Dress professionally for the event. Likely the open houses will have a business casual dress code. We recommend business formal (such as a suit or shirt and tie) even if the law students are more casual because you want to make a good first impression.
- Read the website and be familiar with the time, date, where to park, and what to bring to the event. Write down any questions you have so you can ask them on the tour or during the visit. Do NOT be late–allow for extra time for parking and finding the admissions office.
Also, research schools that you are considering out of state. Most schools offer open houses throughout the year and regular tours. Make use of the week off for Thanksgiving break and the long winter break for farther distance trips. Schedule these events early!