Pre-Law Advising Services Workshops and Programs
We have updated our Spring Semester calendar of events! Upcoming PLAS programs include the FREE Practice LSAT on Friday, February 24, and the Negotiating Scholarships Workshop, featuring Rebecca Ray, Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid, at the UIUC College of Law, on Monday, February 27 at 5pm! For more information and to register for the practice LSAT, go to our website here.
Upcoming Campus Events
Pre-Law Honors Society is taking applications for new members with a minimum 3.3 GPA and sophomore status. Applications are due THIS FRIDAY, Feb. 10 at 5:00pm. Click here for the application: PLHS Application Spring
The Office of Inclusion & Intercultural Relations has posted its spring events! Check them out here.
The Career Center has posted its spring workshop calendar on their website at: https://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/events. Now is a great time to update your resume, plan your job search or summer internship, and get to know their office and resources. This Friday, February 10, the Career Center is hosting a “Pizza & Professionals” lunch (with free pizza) on internships at Research Park. Scroll down for information about that and other upcoming workshops.
- Resume, Cover Letter and Linked In Reviews — Feb. 6, 2-4:30 pm Career Center; 7-9 pm Undergrad Library, Consultation Corner. There are multiple other dates and times for this workshop. Go here to see more options.
- Career Fairs: Maximizing Your Experience — Feb. 6, 4-5 pm Career Center Room 143
- Creating Your Powerful Resume — Feb. 6, 5-6 pm Career Center Room 143
- Career Services Paraprofessional Info Session — Feb 7, 5-6 pm Career Center Room 143; Feb 8, 6-7pm Native American House
- Finding An Internship — Feb. 8, 5-6pm, Career Center Room 143
- Creating Your Powerful Cover Letter — Feb. 9, 5-6 pm Career Center Room 143
- Linked In and Job Search Resources for International Students — Feb 9, 5-6:30pm, The Interview Suite, 616 East Green Street, Room 213
- Pizza & Professionals Lunch Series: Internships at Research Park, Feb 10, 12-1pm, The Interview Suite, 616 East Green Street, Room 213
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for International Students — Feb 10, 3-4pm, The Interview Suite, 616 East Green Street, Room 213
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) for International Students — Feb 10, 4-5pm, The Interview Suite, 616 East Green Street, Room 213
Internship and Scholarship Opportunities
Student Affairs internships are now available! Many internships are available at various sites on campus including: Asian American Cultural Center, Campus Recreation, Illinois Leadership Center, Office of Volunteer Programs, and Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Explore these internship opportunities on their website here.
PAID internship opportunity in Chicago – The deadline to apply is TODAY Monday February 6th! The United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois has paid internship opportunities for students in the court areas of Judicial Services, Operation Services, Administrative Services, and the Computer Systems Department. For more information and to apply, go here.
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is now accepting applications for the Research Support Grant (RSG). This grant provides students from all disciplines with the funds necessary to conduct research or creative projects during the academic year both on and off campus (including summer terms). Awards will be up to $2,000 and are meant to cover research travel costs, living expenses incurred during academic breaks (i.e., winter break and summer terms, NOT regular semester living expenses), and materials or other ancillary costs. We hope that this competition will both broaden and deepen the types of research being conducted by undergraduate students on campus, and that the recipients are able to use this opportunity as a way of engaging with their fields. For details and eligibility requirements please visit: http://go.illinois.edu/OUR_RSG. Deadline for applications will be Wednesday, March 1, at 11:59 p.m. Questions may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you have been utilizing our 20 page Internship Newsletter over on our Pre-Law Compass page that we posted in December! (Click here for instructions on how to access our Compass page.) It’s got lots of job and internship listings for spring, summer and long-term opportunities from Champaign to D.C. and beyond. In addition, you should regularly check iLink to see if summer internships have been posted there.
The ABA Diversity Scholarship is designed for underrepresented students who demonstrate financial need and community involvement. Awards will be $15,000 for entering law students, which is renewable for years 2 and 3 of law school. Applicants must be entering law school in 2017 and submit an application, personal statement, and statement of financial need by March 2. Find the application and more details here.
Upcoming Law School Events–OPEN TO ALL PRE-LAW STUDENTS
Indiana University Maurer School of Law Diversity Law Day is Saturday, February 18. You’ll learn about what lawyers do, experience a mock class, meet current law students, and tour the school. For more details and to register visit their website. http://www.law.indiana.edu/what/professional-careers/jd-degree/diversity-day/
The Wisconsin Statewide Pre-Law Diversity Day is set for Friday, February 17, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the University of Wisconsin Law School in Madison. This event is open to all students. For more information and to register, visit their website here. Cosponsored by the University of Wisconsin Law School and Marquette University Law School, this FREE event includes lunch and:
- an update on law school admissions in Wisconsin featuring the University of Wisconsin and Marquette Law Schools;
- an overview of the Law School Admission Test with practice questions;
- breakout workshops featuring a mock class for students ; and
- law school fair featuring admissions representatives from law schools around the country. Click here for a list of law schools that are registered for this year’s event.