Welcome back to spring semester! LOTS of excellent opportunities are coming up, so be sure to give this week’s blog a read.
Pre-Law Advising Services Workshops and Programs
We have updated our Spring Semester calendar of events! Check them out on our website here.
Win a scholarship at our 2015 LSAT Prep Fair on Thursday, Feb. 5 from 4-6 pm at Illini Union Rooms A&B. Are you wondering what the LSAT is all about, and how to prepare for it? Join us as we host SIX different LSAT prep companies, who will give mini workshops (15-20 minutes) on each area of the LSAT. Learn about all the different LSAT prep methods out there, from online to in person, from apps to one-on-one tutoring. LSAT Companies will be offering BIG discounts and we will raffle off multiple LSAT prep scholarships and resources to those in attendance! Stop by or stay the whole time–refreshments will be served. To find out who is coming and see the workshop schedule, visit our website here.
Are you new to pre-law at Illinois? Pre-Law 101 will be held Monday, Feb. 9 at 4:00. This workshop will cover: What it means to be pre-law at Illinois;what law schools are really looking for; what pre-law students can do to maximize their undergraduate years; how to build a strong pre-law resume; what resources are available to assist pre-law students at Illinois. For more details and to register, click here.
Upcoming Law School Events–OPEN TO ALL PRE-LAW STUDENTS
1. The Wisconsin Statewide Pre-Law Diversity Day Friday, February 27 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at University of Wisconsin Law School in Madison is open to all students. For more information and to register, visit their website here. Cosponsored by Marquette University Law School and University of Wisconsin Law School, this FREE event includes lunch and:
- an update on law school admissions in Wisconsin featuring the University of Wisconsin and Marquette Law Schools;
- an overview of the Law School Admission Test with practice questions;
- breakout workshops featuring a mock class for students ; and
- law school fair featuring admissions representatives from law schools around the country. Over 20 law schools have already registered for this event! Click here for a list.
2. The Illinois Latino Law Forum invites all interested students to attend on Saturday, Feb. 28 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm. at John Marshall Law School in Chicago. This is a FREE event that includes breakfast, lunch, the opportunity to meet prominent Latino/a lawyers and judges from across the state, discussions with Latino/a law students, and sessions about admission and financial aid as well as a mock class and a final round of Moot Court competition. Click here for more details and to register by Feb. 15.
3. Michigan State University is hosting a free webinar on Patent Law and MSU Law’s Intellectual Property Program (view flyer PDF) Thursday, January 26, 2012, 6:30 PM Central Time. This webinar will provide insights into career options in the area of patent law. Presenters include a panel of patent attorneys drawn from different regions of the country. Additional comments will be offered by a faculty member who teaches in the MSU Law Intellectual Property & Communications Law Program. Register here and note that all times listed are Eastern.
Law School Open Houses and Admitted Students Days
As we first mentioned in our October 6 blog, many law schools host open houses for prospective applicants and all law schools strongly encourage students to visit their campuses. Note: spring semester is a time when many law schools will host events specifically for admitted students. Make sure you check the law school websites to see what types of events the schools in which you have an interest are offering. Listed below are upcoming events for several Illinois law schools.
Chicago Kent Law School Open House, Saturday, January 31 9am-2pm. For more information or to register, go here: http://www.kentlaw.iit.edu/prospective-students/jd-program-admissions/visit-campus/open-house-programs/january-open-house.
John Marshall Law School Open House, Saturday, January 31, 9am-Noon. For more information or to register, go here: http://www.jmls.edu/admission/jd/visiting.php.
Northern Illinois University Law School Information Session, Friday, February 13, Noon-1:30pm. For more information or to register, go here: http://www.niu.edu/law/admission/chicago_events.shtml.
Southern Illinois University School of Law Visit Day, Friday, January 30, 8:30am. For more information or to register, go here: http://www.law.siu.edu/about/schedule-visit.html.
Upcoming Campus Events
Illinois in Washington summer semester applications are due Feb. 1. For more information check out the Illinois in Washington website.
The Career Center has posted its spring workshop calendar on their website at: https://www.careercenter.illinois.edu/. Now is a great time to update your resume, plan your job search or summer internship, and get to know their office and resources. Upcoming workshops include:
- Finding an Internship, Jan. 21, 5-6 pm
- Career Fair Prep: Maximize Your Experience, Jan. 21, 6-7 pm
- Opportunities Fair, Jan. 27, 5:30-7 pm
Ilinois Leadership Center will host several upcoming I-Programs. For more information and to register, visit their website here.
- Insight: Saturday, January 24
- Ignite: Saturday, January 31
- Intersect: Saturday, February 7
Study Abroad Summer 2015 Faculty Led Programs–Applications due Feb. 1. These are 2-5 week study abroad programs over summer break with automatic Illinois credit. This could be a great way to manage both study abroad and taking the LSAT. For a list of available courses and application materials, visit the study abroad website here.
We hope you have been utilizing our 20 page Internship Newsletter over on our Pre-Law Compass page that we posted in December! (Click here for instructions on how to access our Compass page.) It’s got hundreds of job and internship listings for spring, summer and long-term opportunities from Champaign to D.C. and beyond.
This week’s highlighted internship opportunity:
The Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division is currently accepting applications for student volunteers. See their description here.
Scholarship opportunity for those entering law school this fall
The ABA Diversity Scholarship is designed for underrepresented students who demonstrate financial need and community involvement. Awards will be $15,000 for entering law students, which is renewable for years 2 and 3 of law school. Must be entering law school 2015 and submit an application, personal statement, and statement of financial need by March 2. Find the application and more details here.