Spring Break starts at the end of this week. Here are some suggestions for how to use the break wisely.
Seniors Applying This Cycle
1. Applications. If you haven’t already done so….submit your applications!!!!! I know several law schools have extended their deadlines but this is a rolling process and many schools have few if any seats (or financial aid) left to give to applicants.
2. Decision Time. For those of you that submitted applications much earlier this cycle and consequently are now weighing all your options — really evaluate your offers and try to come to a decision in the next couple of weeks. Those of you who have been in to see me have been advised to create a table or spreadsheet listing the items most important to you (i.e., cost/scholarship, employment numbers, bar passage rate, location) to help you decide among your offers. Also make plans to visit the law schools if you haven’t already done so — you would be surprised about the number of students who love a school on paper but are not thrilled with the school once they visit. Law school is a HUGE investment — find the time to visit the schools!!!!
Juniors Applying in the Fall
1. Letters of Recommendation. Start thinking about whom you should ask to write your letters of recommendation and plan to request your LORs BEFORE you leave campus for the summer. Applicants frequently make the mistake of waiting until fall to approach their professors and then find themselves waiting quite a while. Your professors are busy so you need to plan ahead to give them enough time to write your letters… and the letters that others are requesting.
2. Attend PLAS Programs! Attending our upcoming PLAS programs will help you get a jump start on your applications. Remember — most law schools admit applicants on a rolling basis so the earlier you apply, the better!
Financing Law School, Monday April 1, 5-6pm, College of Law, 504 East Pennsylvania Avenue, Classroom A. Our Financial Aid Series continues! With so many different aid offers from various law schools….how do students choose? Julie Griffin, Assistant Director of Financial Aid at the College of Law, and Donna Davis, a current 2L and Pre-Law Advising Graduate Assistant, are here to walk you through it! Ms. Griffin and Ms. Davis will show you what a law school financial aid offer looks like and demonstrate how to evaluate aid packages and make fair comparisons among schools. No registration required.
Applying to Law School — A Workshop for Fall Applicants — Monday, April 15, 4-5:00 pm, Room 1027 Lincoln Hall. Applying to law school early in the application cycle can result in more admission offers, more aid, and much less stress. This workshop is designed for students who will be applying to law school this fall and want to maximize their law school opportunities. We will provide an overview of the law school application process and share a timeline for optimal application results. No registration required.
Personal Statement Workshop for Fall Applicants — Thursday, April 18, 12-1:00pm, Room 514 Illini Union Bookstore Building. Law school applicants consistently say that the personal statement took much more time to write than they expected. This workshop will provide an overview of the personal statement and the resume for law school applications. Please register by clicking on this link http://illinois.edu/calendar/list/2508 to our Event Calendar. Once there, please select this event and then click on “register.” Registration is required so that we can provide enough seating and materials for everyone.
All Pre-Law Students
1. Find and apply for summer internships NOW. Not sure where to start? Go here, http://publish.illinois.edu/prelawadvising/2012/12/20/internship-newsletter/, to access our Internship Newsletter that was originally posted on December 20. It contains 17 pages of information on internships and jobs. Many of these postings have March deadlines so start looking now!
2. Stay informed… about all of our PLAS Programs, information sessions, updates on the legal profession, etc. How???
Keep checking our blog!!
Join our Pre-Law Advising Services at U of IL Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/38102688195/.
Follow Pre-Law Advising Services on Twitter!!
Ask to be added to the Pre-Law Advising Services email list. Send your request to: email@example.com.
Enjoy your break!