The Consortium for Contemporary Music Education at the University of Illinois is comprised of music education faculty and doctoral students committed to:
- Issues vitally important to the field, such as curricular reform, music teacher education, community music, and social justice;
- The involvement of researchers, critical friends, graduate students, and preservice teachers in the work of the consortium;
- Synergistic intersections of the intellectual capital of the University with the projects and initiatives of the Consortium;
- Systematic inquiry that will result in publication and dissemination of rigorous and resonant scholarship;
- The formation of collaborative structures for productive work, including planning retreats, seminars, publications, and electronically-mediated forms of communication;
- Scholarly dialogue and critical reflection that will align the projects of the Consortium with strong purposes that have implications for music education.