Ahmed Ettaf Elbanna, PhD.
Donald Biggar Willet Faculty Fellow
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
National Center of SuperComputing Applications (Faculty Affiliate)
Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology (Faculty Affiliate)
2219 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory,
205 N. Mathews Ave,
Urbana, IL 61801
- BSc. in Civil Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, July 2003.
- Graduation Project: Analysis and Design of a Steel Cable-Stayed Bridge Crossing the River Nile at Aswan.
- Adviser: Prof. Metwally Abu Hamad
- MSc. in Structural Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt, May 2005.
- Thesis: Analysis and Design of Tapered and Curved Fully Welded Steel Frame Corner Connections
- Advisers: Prof. Sherif Safar (Main) and Prof. Bahaa Mashaly (Co-adviser).
- MSc. in Applied Mechanics, Caltech, USA, June 2006.
- PhD. in Civil Engineering, Caltech, USA, June 2011.
- Thesis: Pulse-like Ruptures on Strong Velocity Weakening Frictional Interfaces: Dynamics and Implications
- Advisers: Prof. Thomas H. Heaton (Main) and Prof. Nadia Lapusta (Co-adviser)
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2020- present), Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2013- 2020), Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- University of California Santa Barbara (2011-2012), Post-doctoral Researcher, Department of Physics.
- Mentor: Prof. Jean M. Carlson.
- Arab Consultant Engineers (Moharram-Bakhoum) (2003-2005), Structural Engineer in Steel Structures Division.
Honors and Awards
|Donald Biggar Willet Faculty Fellow, Grainger College of EngineeringArab American Frontiers of Science, Engineering, and Medicine – Invited participant|
|2019||Journal of Applied Mechanics Paper Award|
|2018||Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students (Fall 2018- CEE 470: Structural Analysis)|
|2018||National Science Foundation Faculty Early CAREER Award|
|2015||National Center of Supercomputing Applications – Faculty Fellow|
|2005||George Housner Fellowship (Caltech)|
|2004||Certificate of Excellence for Outstanding Academic Record in Engineering Nationwide – National Ceremony of Science and Engineering (Egypt)|
|2003||Outstanding Academic Record Prize, Cairo University, Faculty of Engineering|
- Engineering Mechanics Institute.
- American Geophysics Union.
- American Physics Society.
- Society of Engineering Sciences.
- United States Association of Computational Mechanics