TUTORS for the TRIO Upward Bound College Prep Academy
THE CHALLENGE AND OPPORTUNITY: Individuals with a reputation for being successful with helping students improve academic performance (e.g., grades, overall GPA, test scores) are being sought to provide tutoring and academic coaching/mentoring to diverse students ranging from 9th grade to 12th grade. A large number of the students come from under-served, under-resourced, and under-prepared backgrounds and are often potential first-generation college students. Selected individuals must have a deep commitment to working with these populations.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: The TRIO Upward Bound College Prep Academy is an intense pre-college program that assists youth from the Champaign, Urbana, and Rantoul, IL areas. The program is designed to identify students interested in attending college and to equip them with the skills necessary to succeed in college.
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES NEEDED: Math (Algebra I, Algebra II w/Trigonometry, Geometry, and Calculus); Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Anatomy); Foreign Language (Spanish); and English (Grammar, Composition, and Reading Comprehension).
ANTICIPATED START AND END DATES: September 12, 2016-May 15, 2017.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Tutors are expected, for example, to: participate in training activities; keep abreast of strategies, policies, and procedures related to effective tutoring; provide individual and/or group tutoring/instruction on agreed-upon days and times; complete assessment of students’ needs prior to tutoring/instruction; report attendance such as “no shows”; provide encouragement to students to enhance self-esteem; complete service-delivery reports after sessions; complete accurate timesheets; exercise good judgment and professionalism when interacting with students; and other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
- Must be a college student, a graduate student, current or retired teacher, or experienced professional.
- Students must have earned a “B” or higher in the tutoring subject — evidence required. All students must be in good academic standing.
- Current or retired teachers or experienced professionals must provide evidence of competency in tutoring subject (e.g., transcript, copy of diploma in discipline, reference letters, certifications, citations).
- Preference given to individuals with experience working with economically challenged/first generation college bound students and/or previous tutoring experience.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
TIME COMMITMENT: Must be available to work Mondays and Wednesdays during 4:00pm-8:00pm. Hours subject to change depending on operational and students’ needs.
SALARY:$10 per hour minimum. Eligible campus employees may be considered for work in excess compensation.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Chosen candidates are required to pass an extensive background check prior to starting the position. New background checks may be required for individuals employed previously by Upward Bound and/or who work in other areas of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or off campus.
TO APPLY: Please complete your application online at https://illinois.edu/fb/sec/2048451 and upload the following supporting documents online along with your application:
1) Cover Letter (addressing qualifications, experiences and how you comply with requirements)
3) Philosophy of Education (addressing your perception of teaching, learning, your teaching goals, your goals for students and/or your personal goals as an educator)
4) Unofficial copy of academic transcript with evidence of highest degree
5) Contact information for four references (including: name, job title, phone number, and e-mail address)
*Previous Upward Bound employees should submit the following: an application, cover letter, and an updated resume.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed and interviews may be conducted immediately and will continue until suitable candidates are identified. To ensure full consideration, please submit your materials by Tuesday, August 23, 2016.
PROGRAM WEBSITE: http://omsa.illinois.edu/TRIO/upwardbound.html
STUDENT AFFAIRS DIVERSITY STATEMENT: http://www.omsa.illinois.edu/DOCS/Diversity_SA.pdf
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).