Operations Management Intern
Abbott Nutrition, UIUC Research Park
Job ID Number: 100001
Who We Are:
Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 74,000 people.
Abbott Nutrition is seeking a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) student to support Abbott’s Research Park site manager with maintaining and improving operations and engagement.
An Operations Management Intern will be responsible for:
- Tracking status and deliverables of all research projects
- Acting as liaison between site and global R&D to recruit and initiate projects
- Conducting annual “Call for Project Proposals” within Nutrition R&D and coordinating proposal review and student alignment with review committee and project investigators
- Preparing an annual report based off of events, projects, and deliverables from previous year
- Contributing to the design and management of intern deliverables library in Microsoft SharePoint
- Collating monthly accomplishments for advisement of senior HR and leadership
- Creating materials for internal and external marketing of Abbott Research Park activities
What We Offer to Our Student Employees:
- Part-time employment with Abbott at the UIUC Research Park during the academic year
- Minimum of 8-10 hrs/week and maximum of 19 hrs per week
- Competitive hourly wage commensurate with year in school
- Flexible work schedule with 24/7 keycard office access
- Personally-assigned workstation in a modern style office space
- Valuable experience in the global healthcare industry
- Must be enrolled as a student at UIUC
- Must be available to work during the summer
- Preferably a sophomore or junior undergraduate
- No major restrictions but should preferably be a student interested in a future with Abbott
- Experience in Excel is highly recommended
- Responds well to feedback
- Effective communication and excellent verbal/written English language skills
- Self-motivated problem solver that can lead a project from beginning to end
Start Date/Duration: Late in the Fall 2017 semester or at the beginning of the Spring 2018 semester through at least Summer 2018 with a possibility for an extension
Link to more info on Handshake.
Any undergraduate student who is interested in international community health should know about the Mabelle Arole Fellowship, awarded annually since 2002 through John Snow, Inc (JSI) Research and Training. Candidates must be admitted to medical school to be eligible. If awarded the Fellowship, s/he defers entrance to medical school for one year. Applications are due in mid-January 2018 and finalists are interviewed in early March in Washington, DC (at the candidate’s expense).
The Fellow would depart the US in mid-June 2018 and returns in spring of 2019. The Fellow, who receives $8,000 to cover all expenses, spends 10 months at the Comprehensive Rural Health Project at Jamkhed (in Maharashtra), one of the best examples of how mobilized/empowered communities can significantly improve their health/nutrition status. The Fellowship in 2018-19 will include work at a rural project in Nepal and, in addition to a focus on primary health care, attention will be paid to non-infectious diseases and periodic surgical camps.
All relevant information is available on the AMSA website (www.amsa.org, search for Arole) which has a link to Jamkhed site and contains reports by previous Fellows. Any questions can be directed to Dr. David Pyle at dpyle@JSI.com or 503-894-8546 (in Portland, OR).
Looking for a Job, Internship, Experience?
Handshake @ Illinois is your new career services platform to access postings for jobs and internships, on-campus interviews, workshops, and much more. Handshake is used at over 400 schools nationwide and by 230,000 employers around the globe, exposing you to more employers and job postings than ever before. There are many health-related jobs, internships, research positions, and volunteer opportunities available! Check it out!
Handshake @ Illinois provides personalized job recommendations and career information, based on your profile and site usage, similar to Amazon and LinkedIn. Given this, it is very important to have a complete and accurate profile to maximize your search results. During initial registration you will fill out a Career Interest profile to better identify relevant events and opportunities to your interests. The more information you provide Handshake, the more useful it will be to you. We have already preloaded some of your basic profile information.
Claim your Handshake @ Illinois account today! Log in and complete your profile at go.illinois.edu/handshake.
City Internships (CI) provides immersive experiential education programs for college student and recent graduates.
Their Global Explorer Program centers around an internship placement with a leading company, accompanied by a comprehensive series classes workshops and networking events optimized to enhance a student’s commercial awareness and employability.
More than 65% of CI alumni go on to accept permanent graduate positions with their host company. Moreover, their annual Student Outcomes survey shows that CI alumni gain employment 3 times more quickly and earn 30% than their peers immediately after college.
If you feel the Global Explorer Program would be of interest, apply via: www.city-internships.com/apply
The program may be attended by undergraduate students (including seniors). And students may choose a program in one of 12 cities globally, with an internship in one of 9 career fields.
Places are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. For summer 2017, seven of twelve program destinations are now full and closed to new applicants. Places remain available in the following five program destinations only: New York, London, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Miami (closing soon).
More information can be found on their website: http://www.city-internships.com/