Become a leader in the healthcare field by learning life-saving knowledge and skills in the Fall 2016 EMT-Basic Course through Illini EMS! Learn to take charge in medical emergencies and gain hands-on experience with real patients in the Emergency Room and out in the Champaign-Urbana community. Their EMT Basic course will challenge students to shift from passive bystanders to active healthcare professionals. Over the course of the Fall 2016 semester you will learn:
- Treatment of Cardiac Arrest beyond simple CPR
- In depth treatment of Heart Attacks, Strokes, Respiratory Disease, Diabetes, Emergency Childbirth, Allergic Reactions, Psychiatric Emergencies, and much more
- Management of Shock, Hemorrhage, and a variety of Traumatic injuries
- Pharmacological Interventions
- Medical Terminology
- Patient assessment and the interpretation of a patient’s vital signs
The course prepares students for the National Registry Exam, certifying them as an EMT-B. Our mix of classroom training, online material, and clinical exposure provides our students a strong foundation for a future in healthcare. If interested, more information can be found on their website at https://www.fsi.illinois.edu/iems/. To apply, complete a Course Policies and Procedures form found on the Documents page, and fill out the Application Questionnaire found on the Courses page under the EMT-B Section.
Completed applications are due May 5th at 5:30 PM, with all required physical forms submitted to the IEMS office (room 258 in the Union RSO complex).