The TRIO Upward Bound College Prep Academy is seeking tutors and accepting applications for their 2015-2016 Academic Year Component.
THE CHALLENGE AND OPPORTUNITY: Individuals with a reputation for being successful with helping students improve academic performance (e.g., grades, overall GPA, test scores) are being sought to provided tutoring and academic coaching/mentoring to diverse students ranging from 9th grade to 12th grade. A large number of the students come from underserved, under-resourced, and under-prepared backgrounds and are often potential firs-generation college-students. Selected individuals must have a deep commitment to working with these populations.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: The TRIO Upward Bound College Prep Academy is an intense pre-college f]program that assists youth from the Champaign, Urbana, and Rantoul, IL areas. The program is designed to identify students interested in attending college and to equip them with the skills necessary to succeed in college.
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES NEEDED: Math (Algebra I, Algebra II w/Trigonometry. Geometry, and Calculus); Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Anatomy); Foreign Language (Spanish); and English (Grammar, Composition, and Reading Comprehension).
ANTICIPATED START AND END DATES:
September 2, 2015 – May 15, 2016
DUTIES: Tutors are expected to participate in training activities; keep abreast of strategies, policies, and procedures related to effective tutoring; provide individual and/or group tutoring/instruction; report attendance such as “no shows”; provide encouragement to students to enhance self-esteem; complete service-delivery reports after sessions; complete accurate time sheets; exercise good judgement and professionalism when interacting with students; and other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
- Must be a college student, a graduate student, current or retired teacher, or experienced professional.
- Students must have earned a “B” or higher in the tutoring subject — evidence required. All students must be in good academic standing.
- Current or retired teachers or experienced professionals must provide evidence of competency in tutoring subject (e.g., transcript, copy of diploma in discipline, reference letters, certifications, citations).
- Preference given to individuals with experience working with economically challenged/first generation college bound students and/or previous tutoring experience.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
TIME COMMITMENT: Must be available to work Mondays and Wednesdays during 4:00pm-8:00pm. Hours subject to change depending on operational and students’ needs.
SALARY: $10 per hour minimum. Eligible campus employees may be considered for work in excess compensation.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Chosen candidates are required to pass an extensive background check prior to starting the position. New background checks may be required for individuals employed previously by Upward Bound and/or who work in other areas of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or off campus.
TO APPLY: Please complete your application online at https://illinois.edu/fb/sec/6620108 and upload the following supporting documents online along with your application:
1) Cover Letter (addressing qualifications, experiences and how you comply with requirements)
3) Philosophy of Education (addressing your perception of teaching, learning, your teaching goals, your goals for students and/or your personal goals as an educator)
4) Unofficial copy of academic transcript with evidence of highest degree
5) Contact information for four references (including: name, job title, phone number, and e-mail address)
*Previous Upward Bound employees should submit the following: an application, cover letter, and an updated resume.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed and interviews may be conducted immediately and will continue until suitable candidates are identified.
PROGRAM WEBSITE: http://www.omsa.illinois.edu/collegeprep/upwardbound.html
STUDENT AFFAIRS DIVERSITY STATEMENT: http://www.omsa.illinois.edu/DOCS/Diversity_SA.pdf
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).