The local branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) will select a qualifying undergraduate student to receive the Ida King Stevens Award. The Ida King Stevens Award is intended to help returning women students complete their education. The scholarship awards $1000 (500 each semester) toward the recipient’s tuition and fees. The recipient will be contacted to participate in appropriate AAUW Branch activities.
The recipient must:
1. Be female.
2. Be a resident of the state of Illinois (as defined by the UIUC standard for in-state tuition).
*3. Have experienced an interruption in formal education of at least two years. (See below for explanation)
4. Be enrolled in an undergraduate program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as either as a full-time or part-time student.
5. Have demonstrated financial need (as determined by the FAFSA)
6. Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
* A formal interruption means that the student did not attend school or college for at least 2 years. Here are some examples of aninterruption in formal education:
A student drops out of community college to care for an ailing parent.
A college student has a child and decides to postpone the completion of her degree.
A high school graduate works full-time to save enough money to go to college.
Procedures and Deadlines
Students must complete the attached application and submit it by April 15, 2013 to:
Jacque Kahn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Gender & Women’s Studies
1205 W. Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801