Envisioning America

I really enjoyed reading this book as I have often wondered what English settlers thought when they were attempting to colonize the new world.  It seems that the number one priority for almost all settlers was to instill Christianity in the new world.  While I agree that this was indeed a major factor in the settling of the new world I believe that most people that sailed across the Atlantic Ocean were simply looking for a new beginning and a new opportunity.  On most accounts in the this book settlers start out by talking about spreading Christianity but quickly turn to talking about “conquest” and of natural resources and exploring down rivers.  Also it is interesting to note that these settlers had no idea the climate or area they were sailing into.  They expected to land in a tropical area where they would find Olives and Limes, but they instead sailed into Virginia where they would have to adjust to their original plan.  The people that they sent over on the ships were bricklayers, tilers, and carpenters.  I believe that this was in all honesty a great attempt at building a settlement as these people help for the basic needs for civilization.  They speak of Indians in a very interesting way.  Harriot says that they are a great people although they are very unskilled.  He believes that a great friendship can be created and that the Indians will “obey.”  He even goes to say that once a relationship is generated that they will attempt to preach religion to them.  John Winthrop has a very interesting account as well when he talks about the “City Upon a Hill.”  This Puritan society was what they had envisioned from the beginning.  On a side note I think it’s incredible that most of these voyages happened in the mid 1600’s.  It has only been 400 years and the country we currently live on has gone from a land of trees to incredible cities and skyscrapers, and this all began with the way English settlers Envisioned America.