The Underground Railroad, by Colson Whitehead

Posted on behalf of students in ENGL 350: 21st Century African-American Literature

The Underground Railroad, by Colson Whitehead. Click for catalog link.

Location: Undergrad
Call Number: PS3573.H4768 U53 2016

Location: Uni High Fiction
Call Number: Fiction W587u

Colson Whitehead’s The Underground Railroad tells the story of Cora, a teenage girl escaping slavery via a reimagined, literal, underground railroad. The ensemble of her helpers and hunters changes as she moves from state to state, and Whitehead gets in the minds of everyone who leaves an impact on her. Cora grows up throughout the novel, contemplating her past, present, and future to uncover truths about the possibilities of Blackness in America.

The novel plays with time, place, and point of view to make its audience think about trauma and privilege in American history. Whitehead is bold and honest, reminding readers of the physical, emotional, and economic violence America allows and encourages Black women to endure within its borders.

The finished-the-book feeling that lingers after the last page of The Underground Railroad is painful, and for that reason, it’s an important read. Whitehead’s choices in terms of timing and fantasy within a piece of historical fiction are impressive. His use of philosophy and point of view is impactful. Apart from being something to learn from, The Underground Railroad is a book that begs to be talked about.

In between chapters, I found myself ranting to my roommates about how I felt for the characters. Whitehead gave me words to better understand and explain my own experiences as a Black girl in America. If you choose to read this book (and you should definitely read this book), just understand that Whitehead won’t try to make you happy, but he’ll make you think about your life, your freedom, and your future.

Colson Whitehead. Click for author webpage.

Twitter Email