This year the American Library Association Annual Conference will be hosted in New Orleans, Louisiana, from June 21-26. The theme is “Transforming Our Libraries, Ourselves.” If you’re there, consider stopping by to see U of I librarians presenting their research at one of the sessions listed below or attend one of the other ALA-related events.
We have also included presentations by U of I librarians that will take place at the Rare Book and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) Annual Conference, which will also take place in New Orleans from June 19-22.
Names in bold indicate U of I library employees. Links from titles lead to ALA schedule information for details on the session, unless otherwise indicated.
Wednesday, June 20
- Brenna Bychowski, Lynne Thomas, Mary Hague-Yearl, Colleen Barrett, Beatrice Skokan. “Participant Driven: Converging Around Ethical Questions in Special Collections.” 1:45pm-3:15pm. St. Charles, Astor Crowne Plaza.
Friday, June 22
- Julia Lanigan, Thomas F.R. Clareson, Jennifer Hain Teper, Michelle Baildon, Elizabeth Call. “360 Inclusion.” Seminar. 8:30am-10am. Astor Ballroom I-II, Astor Crowne Plaza.
Friday, June 22
- Lisa Hinchliffe. “Assessment in Action: Demonstrating and Communicating Library Contributions to Student Learning and Success.” Preconference session (ticketed- sold out). 8:00am-4:00pm. Room 217 Morial Convention Center.
Saturday, June 23
- Jennifer Hain Teper, Miriam Centeno. “Counting Diversity in Preservation.” Preservation Administrators Interest Group. 8:30am-11:30am. Room 206 Morial Convention Center.
- Miriam Centeno. “After Hurricane Maria-From Prayer to Resilience.” Preservation Administrators Interest Group. 8:30am-11:30am. Room 206 Morial Convention Center.
- Sara R. Benson, Carla Myers, Discussion Leaders. ACRL Copyright Discussion Group. 10:30am-11:30am. Room 397 Morial Convention Center.
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Jason Clark, David Johnson, Kathryn Harnish, Amy Hayes. “Enabling Knowledge in a Hyperconnected World.” Luncheon-RSVP required. 12:00pm-1:00pm. Hilton Riverside.
- Kelli Trei and Jamie Carlstone. “What Reference Services Do International and Science and Engineering Graduate Students Need? Evidence from a Graduate Student User Survey.” Academic Library Services to Graduate Students Interest Group. 1:00pm-2:00pm. Room 296 Morial Convention Center.
Sunday, June 24
- Kelli Trei and Elisandro Cabada. “A Survey of Information Professionals on What Skills STEM Graduates Need Entering the Workforce and What Librarians Teach.” ACRL STS General Membership Meeting, Poster Session & Breakfast. 8:30am-10:00am. Sheraton New Orleans, Grand Ballroom C.
- Karen Farrell, Mara Thacker, and Hee-sook Shin. “Diverse Users, Diverse Collections: Global Popular Culture Made Local.” 9:00am-10:00am. Room 393 Morial Convention Center.
- Clara M. Chu. “Libraries for Peace: An International Initiative and Resource.” Session 5: Global Solutions – Posters on International Projects in Libraries. 9:30am-11:00am.
- Clara M. Chu. “Empowering Your Community with CLIA (Community-Library Inter-Action)!” Session 6: Outreach – Posters on Interlibrary Cooperation, Library Services to Special Groups, and Reference and Information Services. 11:30am-1:00pm.
- Mary Miller and Zachary Maiorana. “Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost: Preservation in the Age of Shared Print and Withdrawal Projects.” Book and Paper Interest Group. 1:00pm-2:00pm. Room 398-399 Morial Convention Center.
- Sara Benson; Maurice Coleman; Angela Ocana, Steve Thomas. “So You Want to Podcast…” 1:00pm-2:00 p.m. Room 209 Morial Convention Center.
- Esra Coskun, Jen-chien Yu. “Our Story from Excel to Tableau and SQL.” Acquisitions Managers and Vendors Interest Group. Panel Discussion: Tools and Procedures for Cleaning Library Data. 1:00pm-2:00pm. Room 278 Morial Convention Center.
- Lisa Hinchliffe, Paige Dhyne, Jenny Bruxvoort. “The Representation of Libraries and Librarians in First-Year College Science Textbooks.” Poster. 1:30pm-3:00pm.
- Kirsten Terry-Murphy, Laila Hussein Moustafa, Connie Lamb, Safi Safiullah, Mimi Lee. “Arab American Literature: A Librarian’s Guide/ Mapping the Development of the Arab American Literature.” 2:00pm-3:30pm. Room 279-280 Morial Convention Center.
- Clara M. Chu. Project Welcome Recommendations and Action Plan: Implications for Libraries Serving Refugees. 2:30pm-3:30pm. Room 343 Morial Convention Center.
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe. Privacy Social Hour- part of the IMLS-funded project A National Forum on Web Privacy and Web Analytics. 4:00pm-5:00pm. Rebellion Bar & Urban Kitchen. RSVP if attending: https://www.lib.montana.edu/privacy-forum/
Monday, June 25
- Clara M. Chu; Karen Fisher; Rebecca Miller. How Libraries Abroad Address the Worldwide Refugee Crisis. 9:00am-10:00am. Room 288 Morial Convention Center.
- Karen McClurken, Miriam Centeno, Jeremy Suratt and Jeremy Linden. “Preservation Showdown: Environmental Edition.” 1:00pm-2:00pm. Room 391 Morial Convention Center.
- Bella Karr Gerlich; G. Lynn Berard; Lynne M. Rudasill; Jacqueline Cantwell; Morgan Miller. “Effort, Education, Knowledge, Skill and Teaching Recognized: The READ (Reference Effort Assessment Data) Scale at work in Academic, Public & Special Libraries.” 1:00 pm-2:00 pm. Room 285 Morial Convention Center.
- William Mischo, Michael Norman, Mary Schlembach. “Discovery Trends and Issues” (sponsored by LITA). 4:00pm-5:00pm. Room 295 Morial Convention Center.