Puerto Rico vs Illinois

My first time at Puerto Rico has been a blast! I didn’t know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the island. So far we have visited the national rainforest, a beach, Parque de Bomba, two coffee plantations, a commercial farm, and a large waterfall. My favorite part so far was climbing the waterfall that was located at the base of the mountain that our hotel was built on. It is definitely a memory that could not be made back in Illinois.

After spending a week in Puerto Rico I’ve noticed that two major things which are different from Illinois are the food and the terrain. Some major foods of Puerto Rico are sandwiches, mofongo, empanadas, and rice and beans. I’ve enjoyed trying the new foods in Puerto Rico because the cooks/store owners are usually very nice and the food is phenomenal every single time. Some major foods back in the United States include a wide variety of things but I’ve noticed that the food at home doesn’t taste as fresh as what we have eaten here.

A similarity between Puerto Rico and the US is that a lot of the same food can be found in both places. In Puerto Rico I’ve noticed Chinese food, Mexican food, Italian food, and a lot of American food. I expected some American chain restaurants but not as many as I’ve seen on this trip. A difference in the food of Puerto Rico vs the United States are some of the things that are served. In Puerto Rico you can find rice and beans at almost any typical Puerto Rican food stand. It seems that rice and beans along with plantains and toastones are a very major part of Puerto Rican cuisine. In the United States it seems that rice is not as common of a food among the general population.

Puerto Rico and Illinois have almost no similarities in the climate and terrain. The Puerto Rican terrain ranges from a mountain/rainforest region to a low land desert region. Illinois terrain is generally extremely flat with few areas of high elevation. There is also a huge difference in the climates of the two states. Puerto Rico’s climate consists of a wet and dry season. It’s generally extremely warm in Puerto Rico which plays into the way people manage crops and how they try to control how much shade each plant gets. Illinois consists of hot and cold seasons. This extreme change in temperature plays a huge role in determining when crops must be planted and harvested.

My experience visiting both the coffee plantations and the commercial farm taught me a lot about the specifics of farming in Puerto Rico. I learned about how the run off situation in Puerto Rico is different from what the farmer’s deal with in Illinois. In Puerto Rico, unlike Illinois, some crops can be harvested year round. I think that because Puerto Rico has such a great climate for agriculture, they have a lot of potential in using this to their advantage in terms of their economy.

The trip overall has taught me a lot about agricultural production in a different climate region and it has equipped me with knowledge that I would not have been able to gain in any other class. Along with the visits to various production sites I have been able to experience the different geographical locations on the island such as El Yunque and the beaches. As the trip progresses I hope to obtain better Spanish skills and an even better appreciation for the people and the culture of Puerto Rico.

A waterfall we visited at El Yunque national rainforest

A waterfall located near our hotel in the middle of the national rainforest