Application due Friday, January 26, 2024 (11:59 p.m. CT)
Letters of Recommendation due Friday, Feb. 2, 2024 (11:59 p.m. CT)
FLAS Fellowship Graduate Application and Undergraduate Application are on different forms. However, you can use the same form to apply for both Summer and Academic Year FLAS, regardless of whether you are a graduate or undergraduate. Please make sure you choose the correct link to the appropriate application.
Please carefully read each section of the application to ensure that you are selecting the appropriate application type. Students may select up to two of the following application types on the online form:
- Graduate Application – Academic Year 2024-2025 & Summer 2024
- Undergraduate Application – Academic Year 2024-2025 & Summer 2024
The following centers are offering FLAS Fellowships for Academic Year 2024-2025:
- Center for African Studies
- Center for Global Studies
- Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
- European Union Center
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center
The instructions below MUST be followed in submitting an application for a FLAS fellowship. Questions regarding the application procedures and materials can be addressed to any of the center contacts listed here. You should also review the procedures for the particular center to which you are applying.
Incoming non-UIUC students may apply for FLAS through the regular application portal.
If a language is offered by more than one center, students can apply to all Centers that offer the language. For example, Polish is offered by EUC, CGS, and REEEC. If you are applying to study Polish, you can apply to all three centers at the same time. You do not need to submit separate online application forms (please simply check all the centers to which you apply on the form).
- Read the eligibility requirements and fellowship requirements before applying.
- Check with each center’s website for Center specific application criteria. See the right-hand panel for contact information for each Center.
- Applications are due by Friday, January 26, 2024, 11:59 p.m. CT.
- Letters of Recommendation are due by Friday, February 2, 2024, 11:59 p.m. CT.
- Complete the online application form and have recommenders submit letters to the online portal by the above dates.
- If you are planning to study abroad at any point during the term of your fellowship, please read the FLAS Study Abroad requirements and deadlines.
To view test copies of the graduate and undergraduate FLAS applications, please click below:
Online Application Form
- Access the Graduate online application form here.
- Access the Undergraduate online application form here.
For undergraduate applicants – you may save your form and finish it at a later time by clicking the “Save and Finish Later” button on the bottom of the screen. You will receive an email with a link to return to the form. This email is the only way you can access the saved form.
- In order to move between the previous and next pages, all of the required information must be filled out on the current application page.
- The online application form also includes:
- Statement of Purpose (1 to 2 page maximum). Essays should describe how the proposed language study fits in with your field of study and relates to the specific area studies the FLAS granting center to which you are applying supports; how you intend to use the language; and how the language and area study will contribute to your ultimate career goals. Please also describe your previous language learning experiences (formal and informal). You only need one Statement of Purpose per language.
- Undergraduate transcripts, including the fall semester of this year, for current students (Illinois and any other schools you have attended). Undergraduate transcript for incoming continuing undergraduate students. Scanned copies and unofficial reports are acceptable.
- FAFSA Confirmation Page. We will assume zero financial need for those students who do not complete a FAFSA.
Please note that students are urged to submit customized essays and recommendation letters that are specific to FLAS as it will enhance the competitiveness of their application.
The online application closes at 11:59 p.m. CT on Friday, Jan. 26, 2024. The application and materials listed above must be submitted by this time. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Letters of Recommendation
You are responsible for providing your recommenders with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation. We suggest contacting your recommenders and providing them with information as early as possible. We also suggest sending your recommenders your statement of purpose. Letters of Recommendation are due by 11:59 p.m. CT on Friday, Feb. 2, 2024.
*Consider copying and pasting these instructions and sending them to your recommender:
UNDERGRADUATE Instructions for Recommenders: Letters of recommendation are due by 11:59 p.m. CT, Friday, February 2, 2024. Letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically via the recommenders portal. This portal is accessible through the UIUC FLAS website under the “For Recommenders” tab (https://publish.illinois.edu/flasrecommendations/).
When a letter of recommendation is submitted through this portal, both the recommender and the student will receive an automated confirmation of submission via email.
GRADUATE Instructions for Recommenders: Letters of recommendation are due by 11:59 p.m. CT, Friday, February 2, 2024. Recommenders will receive an automated email from the sender “FLAS Fellowship Committee <IGIemail@example.com>” with a secure link to submit the letter of recommendation. Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically via the secure link.
When a letter of recommendation is submitted through this system, both the recommender and the student will receive an automated confirmation of submission via email.
If you are applying for one term (i.e. Summer OR Academic Year) or both terms (i.e. Summer AND Academic Year) with the same language, you need 2 letters of recommendation:
1) Letter from a professor in your field or major, or from your academic advisor. Preferably this should be someone with whom you have worked closely and who can speak to your work in your chosen field of study.
2) Letter from your current or most recent language instructor. If you are applying for the beginning level of a language, you may use a recommender who can best speak to your ability to learn and passion for languages.
If you are applying for both Summer and Academic Year with different languages, you must submit an additional letter of recommendation from another language instructor. You need a language instructor recommendation letter for each language for which you are applying.
Your application will be considered incomplete without these letters of recommendation.
Do not submit more letters of recommendation than are required. Centers will not review additional letters of recommendation.
Application Deadline: Friday, Jan. 26, 2024
Recommendation Letters Due: Friday, Feb. 2, 2024
Award/Alternate/Rejection Letters Sent: Spring Semester 2024