- 1983 – The Book Center moves to the south end of the building.
- 1984 – Susan Maul is named as Director.
- 1986 – English Professor Bruce Michelson writes to Chancellor Everhart stating that the Book Center is inadequate for a top research institution and a committee is set up to work on bringing a new one to fruition.
- 1986 – The Cafeteria on the lower level is renovated to a “modern scramble” system.
Installation of telecommunication lines and underground irrigation systems on the Quad created what was called “The Year Without a Quad.”
- 1988 – University and Housing Dining Services take over food operations after it’s decided to collapse Illini Union Food Services.
- 1988 – The Office of Registered Organizations (RSO) and the Student Organization Resource Fee (SORF) come under Illini Union umbrella.
- 1988 – The IUB Strategic Plan yields three significant proposals: The Student Organizational Complex, remodeling the Courtyard, and a new Bookstore.
- 1989 – IUB Strategic Plan proposals pass and students vote to pay a $4 fee to fund one-half of the $2 million dollar projects.