Under The Molehill – Part 1

This isn’t really a quote from the book, but I found it extremely interesting that John Bossy believed that comparing writing styles would be a legitimate form of investigation in this case. Honestly, I believe that you could never use a comparison of handwriting styles in an investigation like this, especially because the author is looking for a spy. One would think that a spy might change his handwriting style, specifically for circumstances like this. Obviously, not because s/he believed that people would be investigating this topic hundreds of years later, but because s/he felt that the opportunity for the letters to be leaked was a distinct possibility. Stylistically, it seems as though Bossy cannot decide whether or not he would like to write a narrative monograph or a historical research piece. While his book is chocked-full of legitimate footnotes, he has yet to tell the story in such a way as to make it accessible to the reader. The result is that his story is extremely dry, even for me. That being said, I thought his act of tracing of Chérelles name from Chérelles to Arnault was both informative and interesting, and provided me with some necessary information for the rest of part one. Although, honestly, I’m still not sure what is happening in the book, other than the fact that there is a spy working for Elizabeth, but claiming allegiance to Mary, Queen of Scots.

2 thoughts on “Under The Molehill – Part 1

1. I was also spectacle about the use of handwriting to determine an author who is a spy. I know that hand writing is analyzed scientifically and is a valid form of historical evidence, but there is always a possibility that what you suggest about deliberately changing hand writing could occur. Maybe with even more advanced technology such a change would still be detected and the different styles of writing could be attributed to a single person. Of course, what is believed to be true in history changes all the time as new perspectives come to light and more evidence is found or analyzed more critically or through different lenses. So if in the future they found that a spy had changed his or her hand writing strategically, I would not be surprised.

2. Agreed! I found the book interesting but written for an insider’s insider. It also seems to want to reclaim Catholic honor in an early modern sense. An audience of three. Had it been pitched a little differently and paced as a narrative, I think that the story would have reached more of us. That said, D.E’s analysis of the book as a maze is intriguing.