Closing the research-to-practice gap in education, sparking and sustaining education innovation, conceptual change and misconceptions, and assessing student learning
Externally Funded Research Grants
- Herman, G. L. (PI), SFS-Capacity: Collaborative: Validation of Concept Assessment Tools for Cybersecurity. (In Collaboration with A. T. Sherman, L. Oliva, & D. Phatak of University of Maryland, Baltimore County). National Science Foundation, $190,033: 2018-2021. DGE 1820531.
- Herman, G. L. (PI), Creating a Cybersecurity Curriculum Assessment Tool. (In collaboration with A. T. Sherman, L. Oliva, & D. Phatak of University of Maryland, Baltimore County). Department of Defense, $128,495.77: 2017-2018. CNAP-CAE Grant# H98230-17-1-03473.
- Bashir, R. (PI), Loewenstein, J., Amos, J., Herman, G. L., Boppart, S. Defining the Frontiers of Bioengineering Education at Illinois and Beyond. National Science Foundation, IUSE/PFE:RED, $1,998,057, 2016-2021. EEC 1623141.
- Herman, G. L. (PI) & Pembridge, J. Conference Title: Research Integration of Early Findings from Institution Transformation Projects. National Science Foundation, IUSE, $45,808: 2016-2017. DUE 1622893.
- Herman, G. L. (PI), Litchfield, B., Amos, J., & Rapti, Z. MATH:EAGER Understanding faculty barriers in adopting evidence-based integrated mathematics curricula. National Science Foundation, IUSE, $299,207: 2015-2017. DUE 1544388.
- Herman, G. L. (PI) Creating concept and curriculum assessment tools for Cybersecurity (In collaboration with A. T. Sherman, L. Oliva, & D. Phatak of University of Maryland, Baltimore County). Department of Defense, $147,099: 2015-2016. BAA-00-15, NSA H982301510273.
- Mercier, E. (PI), Herman, G. L., & Peschel, J. Fostering collaborative drawing and problem solving through digital sketch and touch. National Science Foundation, Cyberlearning, $549,995: 2014-2017. IIS 1441149.
- Herman, G. L (PI). & Peschel, J. Exploring expert & novice graphical communication through digital sketching. National Science Foundation, Research in Engineering Education, $248,239: 2014-2017. EEC 1429348.
- Mestre, J. (PI), Greene, J., Herman, G. L., Tomkin, J., & West, M. Scaling cultures of collaboration: Evidence-based reform in portal STEM courses. National Science Foundation, Widening Implementation & Demonstration of Evidence-Based Reforms, $2,000,000: 2014-2017. DUE 1347722
- Loui, M. C. (PI), Herman, G. L., & Goldberg, D. E. Enhancing Intrinsic Motivation in Core Engineering Courses. National Science Foundation, Transforming Undergraduate Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, $200,000: 2012-2014. DUE 1140554
Research Awards and Fellowships
|Journal of Engineering Education Star Reviewer, 2018
|ACM SIGCSE Best Paper of the First 50 Years
|ASEE IL-IN 2018 Annual Conference, Best Poster
|IEEE Transactions on Education, Finalist for Best Paper of the Year
|ASEE Educational Research & Methods Division Apprentice Faculty Grant
|IEEE Signal Processing Education Workshop 2011 Best Student Paper Award
|Mavis Future Faculty program fellow: co-founded program, mentored first year fellows
|E.A. Reid Fellowship for students pursuing an academic career in engineering
|Mavis Memorial Fund Scholarship for students planning to become engineering teachers