EGSAC has worked with the departments’ Associate Heads/Directors of Graduate Study to implement a EGSAC Graduate Student Diversity Advocate team. This initiative started in fall 2016. A diversity advocate is an engineering graduate student who works with their home department’s Graduate Program Office and EGSAC to build a more inclusive community among engineering graduate students.
Questions about the EGSAC Department Diversity Advocates program should be directed to Rhonda McElroy.
Responsibilities of a Diversity Advocate
- Attend monthly EGSAC meetings to discuss efforts in various departments to foster an inclusive environment.
- Participate on the EGSAC Diversity-Inclusion Subcommittee and attend any of the subcommittee meetings.
- Meet with the Director of Graduate Studies in their home department at least twice a semester (fall and spring) to discuss the diversity initiatives for the department (e.g., seminar speakers, graduate recruitment, incoming faculty).
- Assist their home department’s Graduate Office with organization of events around inclusion, and assist the EGSAC team with targeted diversity initiatives approved by the Dean of Engineering and the Office of Graduate, Professional and Online programs.
How to Apply
Students interested in serving as a diversity advocate for their department should apply through the EGSAC online application, which is open from February 15 to March 24, 2019. Students must be enrolled for the entire upcoming academic year, 2019-2020, to be eligible. Students will be notified by May 1, 2019. Any questions about the application process may be directed to Rhonda McElroy.
2018-2019 Diversity Advocates
- Armando Collazo Garcia | Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Jaime Thissen | Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- Wenjie Liu | Department of Bioengineering
- Zully Perez-Sierra | Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Mekhakhem Kheperu and Dianna Kitt| Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Doris Xin | Department of Computer Science
- Thomas Foulkes and Fu Sun | Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Rahul Swamy | Department of Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering
- Marilyn Porras-Gomez | Department of Materials Science & Engineering
- Shankar Deka | Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering
- Hanna Schamis | Department of Nuclear, Plasma & Radiological Engineering
- Karmela Padavic | Department of Physics