Common Ground Publishing is looking for Publishing Interns. Located in the University of Illinois Research Park, we are an academic publishing company founded in 1984 that is committed to principals of access, participation, and equality. We hold 24 annual conferences and publish 77 journal titles. Our traditional areas of strength include education, interdisciplinary humanities and social sciences, arts and design, and science in social context. We are at the leading edge in the investigations of the critical questions of our time. Our areas of innovation include new media, food and urban studies, aging, sustainability, and climate change.
Our 10 hour a week, semester-long unpaid internship gives students an opportunity to learn more about the publishing world. Interns would interact with each step of the publishing process from the author’s initial submission to typesetting to publication. Our internship is education based with new lessons each week, allowing interns to apply what they’ve learned to a real world publication process.
We encourage applicants to seek college credit for the internship from their department.
- Interest in academic publishing
- Attention to detail
- Experience with Microsoft Word
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn the Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition
- Ability to commit 10 hours a week to the program
- Engaging with the publication process
- Interacting in weekly lessons
- Completing initial checks for submitted articles
- Utilizing plagiarism checking software
- Editing articles for correct grammar and Chicago Style citations
- Assigning peer reviewers for submitted articles
- Formatting accepted articles for publication
- Completing an internship project
How to Apply:
Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com by February 01, 2016 with the subject line “Spring Internship.” In your cover letter, please address why you are enthusiastic about academic publishing and what you hope to gain from this internship experience.