Join Us for ESC:
If you are interested in reading, writing, leadership positions, and more, join the ESC’s weekly meetings.
When: Every Tuesday 7:00-7:30 p.m CST
Zoom Meeting ID: 7763187140
Professional Development Opportunities & Scholarship Opportunities:
The University of Illinois Latina/Latino Alumni Association (IllinoisLLAA)’s Scholarship Application is now open and available at https://lnkd.in/eqnmxrc for current UIUC upperclassmen and graduate students!
The deadline to apply is Friday, May 7, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
The recipient of this grant will receive a $2,500 scholarship award. Questions can be sent to Luis Narvaez, Scholarship Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer and Fall Internships at the ATLAS:
The ATLAS Internship Program is now accepting applications for any College of LAS students who are interested in learning how to integrate their course of study with technology-based internships. Positions currently open include VR content creator, social media specialist, website/newsletter content, and documentation and workflow specialist. Apply here.
Internship Opportunity with Unity in Action Magazine:
The Unity in Action magazine is currently offering internship positions for all majors this summer. It is an online magazine that works to help the community work together to address social-economic issues that affect marginalized families and communities. Email here to apply. For more information, visit https://www.unityinactionmagazine.com/.
Career Workshops at Career Camp:
You are invited to attend the following workshops at Career Camp the week of May 24.
- May 24 at 4 pm – Resume Shaping for Humanities Students
- May 25 at 4 pm – Grad School Now versus Gap Year
- May 26 at 4 pm – Internship or Job search, demystifying this process
- May 27 at 4 pm – So What are You Going to do with That Major?
- Making an appointment for the afternoon after each of these workshops (May 25-28) – 30-minute meeting times
Internships for Humanities Students:
See below for a list of available internships the their application deadlines:
- Editorial Summer Intern (remote) at National Audubon Society —closes May 12
- Business Team Engagement Intern (remote) at Foreign Policy (magazine) —closes May 28
- Sales Support Intern (Summer 2021; remote) at IQVIA —closes May 14
- Community Engagement Officer (Internship; remote) at White Duck Outdoors —closes June 30
- MUSEUM ENTRY POINTS Summer INTERNSHIP at The Bass Museum of Art —closes May 7
- Innovation Intern at Empower –closes May 26
- Paid Summer Intern – Logistics Sales and Marketing at Edge Logistics —closes Aug 1
- Writing Internship – SEO Content Writing (remote) at Ecolink, Inc —posted May 4
- Social Media Research Internship (remote) at Rabble —posted May 4
- Media & Communications Intern (remote) at Black Economic Council of Massachusetts —closes May 17
- Internship – Coordinator, Marketing & Communications (remote; ends November) at Student Leadership Network —posted May 4
- Community Outreach and Communications Intern (remote) at Trust for Governors Island —posted May 4
- COVID-19 Response for Immigrant Justice Paid Internship (remote; bilingual English/Spanish) at Movement for Justice in El Barrio –posted May 3
- Professional Career Internship – Workday Recruiting Training Materials Development Intern (remote) at Argonne National Laboratory —closes June 4
- Marketing Intern at HMS Industrial Networks Inc —closes May 31
- Summer Marketing Internship at Rios Global —closes June 30
- Branding & Content Creator (remote; various humanities majors) at Lyric Foundation —closes May 16
- Associate-Sales Academy at Kansas City Royals —closes June 30
- Copywriting and Content Strategy Paid Internship (remote) at Perfect Search Media —closes June 5
- Assistant Booking Agent – Internship (remote) at In Touch Entertainment —posted May 6
- Research/Policy Intern or Cultural Strategy Intern (remote) at Free Press —closes May 28
- Program and Development Intern (remote) at OneVoice Movement —posted May 6
- Communications Intern, Marketing & Operations (remote) at Denham Wolf Real Estate Services —closes May 31
- Tourism Cares Programs & AdvancementIntern (remote) at Tourism Cares, Inc. —closes May 26
Teaching English as a Second Language Courses Available this Summer:
This summer, the Department of Linguistics will offer a number of courses on Teaching English as a Second Language. See the flyer below for more information:
MFA Public Reading:
The third-year MFA students in Creative Writing will be giving their public reading on Zoom: Saturday May 15 at 1:00. This year, the graduating students are Emmilea O’Toole, Cole Piedimonte, Beth Pearl, Erich Slimak, and Kyle Russell. Each will give a brief reading from their Final Projects. Come out and help celebrate their graduation and Mastery of the Fine Art of Creative Writing!
Meeting ID: 876 6466 5571
Intern at the WRC:
The WRC is currently accepting applications for Advocacy, Programming, and Marketing & Communications interns for Fall 2021. Links to applications are below, and they will close on May 7. Note that applications are only open to current UIUC students.
Advocacy Intern Application: https://tinyurl.com/ae2ymh38
Programming and Marketing & Communications Intern Application: https://tinyurl.com/58p5zf7v
Virtual 42nd Latinx Congratulatory:
The 42nd Latinx Congratulatory will be held on May 14, 2021 at 7:00 pm CST via Zoom.
Click here to RSVP for the virtual ceremony.
Nominate a graduating student: https://go.illinois.edu/latinxcongratsawards
Apply to be a speaker or MC: https://go.illinois.edu/congratspeakers
Dean’s Distinguished Speaker Series:
Dr. David Stovall will give a talk titled “Addressing Systemic Racism Through Justice and Equity: The Role of Faculty at a Community-Engaged, Empowered University” on May 7, 2021 from 11:00AM — NOON CST
To register and participate via ZOOM: http://go.education.illinois.edu/ddss-stovall
Student Cultural Programming Fee (SCPF) Student Advisory Board Applications:
The Student Cultural Programming Fee (SCPF) Student Advisory Board is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The SCPF offers financial and educational support for culturally significant programming and initiatives coordinated by students, faculty, and staff on campus. The purpose of SCPF is to advance cultural awareness and social justice education, and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout campus. This fee specifically serves to support sociohistorical phenomena experienced and expressed by minoritized and traditionally underserved communities, which encompass social identities at the intersect, including diverse abilities, documentation status, ethnicity, gender, Indigeneity, nationality/global, race, religious, and secular identity, and tribal citizenship and affiliation.
Serving on the SCPF Student Advisory Board is a great way to make a meaningful impact on campus, while also strengthening your resume.
Learn more about the SCPF Student Advisory Board, specifically the duties and responsibilities, here.
Apply for the SCPF Student Advisory Board here.
Academic Tips of the Week:
Pay attention to these and other important dates and contact a departmental or college advisor if you have questions. Saturday, May 22: Spring 21 grades will be accessible in Self-Service, and May 22-27: you can declare the PZ/NZ option for Spring 21 courses. Good luck on finals!
Career Readiness Tip of the Wek:
Spend some time this summer thinking about what kind of life and career you want. Try the Flower Exercise from the best selling job search book titled “What Color is Your Parachute?”.
Technology Tip of the Week:
Technology skills are one of the seven competencies identified as indicators for career readiness. Consider taking the free ATLAS Skills Track Courses to help boost your technology skills this summer. No prior experience is needed.
LAS Scholarship Application:
Using this one application, you will be considered for more than 25 different scholarships that will be awarded for the 2021-2022 school year. The application asks you to answer a few questions, upload a resume, and submit a couple short essays. The application deadline is Friday, May 16. Last year, students received more than $125,000. For more information click here.
Study Spaces Available During Finals Week:
Classrooms are available for use by students who need a location to participate in an online class or to study. In keeping with campus COVID-19 Guidelines, social distancing and face covering requirements apply. Rooms are not intended for private use; adhere to posted room capacity. For more information, visit https://registrar.illinois.edu/event-scheduling/study-spaces/.
Student Sustainability Committee Member Application:
The Student Sustainability Committee is seeking undergraduate and graduate students interested in applying for a voting member position for the 2021-2022 academic year. The application deadline is Friday, May 14. For more information, visit https://icap.sustainability.illinois.edu/project/student-sustainability-committee-ssc.
Need to Meet with an Advisor?
To contact a college-level advisor, use the online chat, online advising appointment calendar and queue, and online forms for program change requests. Find a list of unit and college advisors along with hours and contact information on the college website.