Here are links to some of the specialized job boards where English and Creative Writing majors can find openings particularly well suited to their skills. There’s not an industry in the world that doesn’t need people who can communicate effectively and solve problems with words, so English and CW majors are NOT limited to this list of resources, but these are good starting places for a targeted job search.
- The I-Link widget over there on the right-hand side of this site’s home page: a continuously updated list of recent additions to I-Link of interest to English department majors.
- I-Link itself: this University of Illinois resource connects students and recent alumni to employers who are looking to hire Illini. The interface can be frustrating, but the “Advanced Search” option will help you zero in on the openings of interest to you.)
- Chicago Artists Resource (shows job openings at arts and cultural organizations in the Chicago area)
- Idealist.org (specializes in openings at nonprofit organizations of all kinds)
- USAjobs.gov (database of all federal government jobs, including internships in DC, at national parks, in the Smithsonian museum system, etc.)
- Bookjobs.com (particularly helpful for internships in publishing)
- The National Association of Independent Schools posts openings in private schools.
- Higheredjobs.com/admin offers openings (many of them entry-level) in higher education administration.
- Tech customer support is a well-paid growth industry in which English/CW majors can thrive.
Big all-purpose sites: