The Career Center‘s Winter Break Job Shadow Program will help you engage with alumni, professionals, or companies of interest to help develop your professional network and explore career opportunities.
The program is a one-day commitment during winter break. The Job Shadow Program will focus on experiences relevant for LAS, AHS, Media, FAA, and Education students.
The “required” information sessions have all ended, but you can still apply to the program, even if you didn’t attend one. Here’s how:
- Fill out and submit online the 2015-15 Student Job Shadow Agreement. (The purpose of the information sessions was to have students complete this form.)
- Go on I-Link (the U of Illinois Career Center’s job database; if you haven’t used it before there will be a few questions to answer the first time you log in with your NetID).
- On I-Link click on the “Jobs” pull-down menu and then “I-Link Jobs.”
- Once you’re in the “I-Link Jobs” menu, go to “Advanced Search.”
- In “Advanced Search” pull down the menu under “Show Me” (upper left-hand side) and click “Job Shadow Listings.”Look over the job shadow listings that have “TCC” in the title.
- When you find one or more you want to apply to, you’ll need to go back to the I-Link “Home” screen to start the process.
- To apply for Winter Break Job Shadow opportunities:
- Make sure you’ve submitted the 2015-15 Student Job Shadow Agreement. If you skipped that step, go back and do it.
- Update your resume for the job shadow opportunities you want to apply for. You may find it useful to create more than one version of your resume if you’re exploring career options that draw on different parts of your background or skills.
- Save your resume(s) as PDFs. If you have more than one, label them clearly so you’ll know which is which.
- Go to the I-Link “Home” and find the button under your name in the upper left hand corner that says “upload your resume now.”
- Click it, and follow the directions to upload your resume(s).
- Go back to the job shadow listing(s) that you want to apply for and click “Apply.”
- Follow the directions to upload your resume.
- If accepted, attend the required orientation/information session (details will be forthcoming).
- When you return to campus after break, let us here in the Advising Office know how your job shadow went!