(This group was previously organized at the University of Illinois.)
What? Research group for undergraduates and beginning graduate students to discuss research projects and weekly themes such as research methodology or how to submit to and present at a conference.
Why? Because you have an interest in doing research in Linguistics but have questions or aren’t sure where to start. Start here!
Who? Everyone is welcome! Please ask if you have any questions.
We’ll have plenty of time for discussion and presentations, but each week we’ll have a theme. Examples:
- Organizational Meeting
- Department research and faculty profiles
- Picking a topic
- IRB approved research
- References: finding and organizing them
- Writing an abstract
- Discussion of abstracts and research plans
- Research methodology
- Submitting to and presenting at conferences
- Publishing a paper
- Giving a presentation
- Finding funding or other official resources
- Examples of research projects
- Linguistics research topics “Menu”
- Example formatting and citations in Linguistics
- Finding references flowchart
- What you need to know right now about the IRB
- Some tips about Writing an Abstract