Fab Lab Intro

This week in class, we continued working on our semester-long projects. Nora and I printed out more parts of the Raptor Reloaded hand and began piecing together the different parts. We connected most of the palm and still have to join together the gauntlet as well as the non-3D printed materials such as the string, screws, and Velcro. The pieces were a bit harder to connect than I thought; it took some adjusting to get the pins to go through. Below is a picture of our progress:

IMG_1176               IMG_1177

While we worked on the hand, some other students started working on the Arduino circuit boards which we’ll be getting into more after break. A guest speaker from the Fab Lab, Jeff Ginger, came in later to give us a virtual tour of the lab and show us what we’ll be able to work on while there. He passed around a lot of interesting pieces like a sushi mat, solar paneled purse, nametags, and much more.

It’s awesome to see all these different things being made with 3D printers and laser etching technology. We’re able to create things quickly and efficiently. I look forward to visiting the lab in person and working with the technology available to us. I’ll have to think of some useful gadgets to make.