Week 4: Learning from a Plastic Face

This week in digital making, we were focusing on scanning our faces to create OBJ & STL files that could be uploaded to, cleaned up, and edited in software like Tinkercad, and printed into our first real personal 3D prints for the class. I learned how to scan (and be scanned) using the portable iPad scanner in the lab, how to clean up and edit a 3D scan, and how to export files to be printed by the Makerbot. As we were asked to get creative with what we decided to do with our face scan, I decided to add a little loop to the top of my head and print out a mini-keychain of my face for my house keys. It took a few attempts to get the bottom to flatten out so it would print right, but finally toward the end of class I was able to get my print to start. It took about half an hour and looked awesome when it was done, but as soon as I tried putting a keyring through the hole, it cracked off. L Next time I need to either make the loop thicker or make a hole through my head so it will be more stable.

10868139_10153238760502150_8904677764183564097_n

Aside from the hands-on learning by doing we had happening with our face scanning process, the lab guru, Ryan, talked to us a bit about the science behind 3D scanning and modeling, which I found quite interesting. We were also lucky enough to have Professor Rindfleisch, the teacher of the Making Things course at the lab, come in and talk to us a little about what their class is doing as well as his research into 3D printing (particularly about how people perceive objects they’ve printed as being more valuable than objects they are just given.)

Our learning in the weeks class made me feel a lot more prepared to try printing and experimenting with stuff on my own and helped me learn a lot about how to make the printing process go more smoothly next time I want to try something out. It also helped give me a better idea of the science behind 3D printing and what might be in store for the future of the industry, particularly regarding what is possible as far as customization and running your own small business around 3D printing.

Now that I’ve finally had a chance to print something out on my own, I feel like I’m ready to spend some time on my own in the lab and continue to build my 3d modeling and printing skills. I’m looking forward to doing some cool stuff in the coming weeks!