Reflecting on Week 2

I absolutely love the collision of people we have in this course. So many people have come in from different backgrounds, we’re all mixed together, and told to create. There’s nothing cooler than that. While working with designers, it’s such a different environment because we’re all trained to think the same. I feel that that can be limiting to a degree and it’s interesting to me to collaborate with people who come from such a different story.

My group, the Dream Team- JKL, is a lot of fun to work with! It was interesting to even go back to working with Tinkercad. I honestly never played with it before as I had just jumped into programs such as Solidworks or Rhino. It thrills me that they’ve simplified the concept so much because that makes 3D modeling so much more of an approachable concept. Before anyone jumps into CAD, it’s sort of a daunting idea. There’s so much to it and people are creating such amazing things and in some programs even a cube seems impossible. Tinkercad eliminates a ton of that stress. I love Thingiverse because it just keeps expanding! Some stuff I found really cool:

The Sculpture Section Under the Art Category:

Some of the creations in this section absolutely blow my mind. People are rendering some truly incredible, ridiculously detailed things. I appreciate that level of skill because knowing how long something like that takes is amazing to me. Any sort of organic shape can be a challenge to make, and make realistic. This one especially because you truly can recognize the facial features.

Father Daughter

Wall Mounted Utensil Holder

What even is that?! That would save me so much drawer space! Or be such a cool way to integrate into social gatherings. I think consolidating space is a certain art and why not use the walls to hold your fine dinnerware? I think this could be so practical in cafeteria situations or anywhere where large amounts of people are being served. The less room used to hold little things the more room for food!

Utensil holder

K-Cup Holder

Personally, I value my Keurig on an emotional level. I have a coffee addiction and will be the first to admit it. As much as I love my Keurig, I kind of hate the stupid carousel they make to put the cups in. Again, it comes down to space efficiency. The carousel can only hold so many and it’s sort of obtrusive. Whereas integrating a stackable K-cup holder allows the user limitless possibilities for height and amount of cups held. I personally would create a K-cup column.

K cup

Dice

So it really isn’t a novel creation, but something as simple as creating your own dice indicates something so much larger for the future. Think, if we had a 3D printer in our home, we’d never have to worry about losing those stupid dice in your Yahtzee game. Or your favorite game piece in Monopoly. I love games, and I love toys, and I think that’s a great fix for losing small parts, but it’s indicative of creation on a much larger scale. When we can just wake up and print our breakfast, or even a pen. Something everyday that the user can create as needed. Where we’re at now with mass 3D printing leaves a lot of people just creating little nik-naks (sp?) but there’s so much potential with the actual creation of practical things.

Dice

One thought on “Reflecting on Week 2

1. I never even thought to print a game piece! That would be so useful for a game of monopoly when everyone wants to play with the same piece. I usually get stuck with the top hat and have to let my younger sister get her first choice in the dog. But I could just go a print whatever I want as my piece for that game.