Apply for a scholarship beginning Fall 2023!
The application forms are now available. Applications are due March 31, 2023.
Undecided whether to apply? See the ICSSP site’s home page for three video testimonials from ICSSP scholarship recipients.
This merit scholarship is available to undergraduate and graduate UIUC students. The goal of the scholarship is to increase the national workforce in the field of cybersecurity and to place graduates in federal agencies, national labs, and state, local, and tribal government organizations.
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- An admitted full-time undergraduate or graduate student on the UIUC campus.
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America.*
- You must be either a College of Engineering undergraduate or graduate student with a focus on cyber or information security and privacy (undergraduates must be within 4 semesters of completing their degree to apply), or a School of Information Sciences graduate student in the MSIM or PhD degree program.
- Transfer students are eligible to apply after they have been admitted to the UIUC College of Engineering and have completed at least one semester on campus.
*Security clearances, and many federal agencies, require U.S. citizenship. It is the recipient’s responsibility to attain such a position in state, local, tribal or territorial governments given these limitations.
- I am an international student. May I apply for the ICSSP program?
No, international students are not eligible for the ICSSP program. ICSSP is a National Science Foundation Scholarship for Service opportunity and is open only to US citizens and permanent residents.
- I am interested in cybersecurity. Is ICSSP a cybersecurity degree program at UIUC?
No, ICSSP is a scholarship program, not a standalone degree program. You must be admitted to a full-time undergraduate or graduate program on the UIUC campus to be eligible for an ICSSP scholarship. The University has excellent undergraduate and graduate programs in which many students focus on cybersecurity. More resources may be found at the links below:
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- School of Information Sciences (see MS/IM and PhD programs)
- Should I upload my letters of recommendation with my application?
No, do not upload the letters. Please provide your references’ contact information (i.e., e-mail addresses) in your application. We will reach out to your references for the letters of recommendation.