Frequently Asked Questions
Income and Benefits
- How much could I earn in different careers?
- How can I make the most of job benefits?
- What’s the return on investment (ROI) for my degree?
- Why should I negotiate?
- I received tax forms. What are they for?
- What are common tax mistakes made by college students?
- How do international students file a U.S. Federal tax return?
Resources on Campus
- Payroll Calculators: University Payroll & Benefits offers a list of withholding and net pay calculators specifically for employees and graduate assistants.
- Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS): The information provided on this website applies to all graduate assistants (GAs) and professional graduate assistants (PGAs) who are eligible to hold assistantship appointments accompanied by tuition and service fee waivers.
- Taxation of Waivers Summary: Do you have a tuition waiver? Do you know if it will be taxed? Find out the nuts and bolts of what you need to know about taxability of tuition waivers.
- Student Financial Aid Virtual Job Board: This job board is intended to assist University of Illinois students in finding part time employment to help them in meeting their needs while pursuing an education at this University.
- Assistantship Clearinghouse, Graduate College: The Graduate College Assistantship Clearinghouse lists assistantships that are available to graduate students on the Urbana campus.
- Fellowship Opportunities Database, Graduate College: A searchable database of fellowships for graduate students, including those that support research or study abroad.
- Office of External Fellowships, Graduate College: Provides services to help Illinois graduate students compete for external grants and fellowships.
- Scholarship Database: Search this database by category or browse by name to find current information on scholarships that are available to University of Illinois students.
National & International Scholarships Program: This program administers nationally competitive awards for University of Illinois students and alumni.
- Career Services Network: Find a career center on campus or search for job or internship opportunities.
- Tax Breaks for Higher Education: The income tax system has credit, deductions, and other tax breaks for higher education. Use this resource to see if you’re qualified for any of these tax breaks.
Resources in the Community