Bossy’s Under the Molehill & the Importance of Social Ordering

Bossy’s Under the Molehill can be confusing and it is filled with seemingly endless details about the minutia of Elizabethan politics. However difficult Bossy’s writing is for readers to follow, it does shed light on the intricate and complicated nature of politics during this period because the period itself was sordid with religious and political conflicts bubbling below the surface as well as boiling over and causing a stir. Bossy captures this aspect of society, while thoroughly confounding readers about whom he is referring to at various points in the book. Nevertheless, the book clearly contains extensive research about an interesting topic in Elizabethan history, which was the relationship between Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scotts and between Protestants and Catholics.

With that said, the quote that I have chosen from Under the Molehill is much broader as it reveals the continuation of a focus on social order and anxieties toward those who challenged hierarchy.

Bossy discusses Maheut saying that he “changed his name on the grounds that he needed to pass incognito since the English hated him so much. When he was left on his own he got a severe reprimand from his superiors for ‘playing the great man’ and assuming the status of ambassador to which he had no title. He certainly invested in spectacular clothes, and borrowed and spent a lot of money for which his government refused to reimburse him.” (p. 42-43)

In his description of Maheut, Bossy draws attention to Elizabethan anxieties about status and social climbers. His reference to Maheut’s name change reveals that relations between the English and French are still tense as he changes his name because he is in England and his name is recognizably French. Bossy’s mention of his reprimand uncovers more than Maheut’s character, as it divulges that order remains a key facet of society during the Elizabethan period. Reprimand for dress, actions, and use of unearned title above his station indicates that Maheut threatened his superiors by upending social order that was kept in by place and displayed through such expressions. Furthermore, mention of him spending above his means to acquire clothes and that the government would not reimburse him for shows not only that people of higher rank would resent his ability to acquire goods that they were able to afford, but also acknowledges that the government did not accept his actions and the way that they challenged order and upset those of higher rank. Lack of governmental support discouraged challenges to order. This idea of order was formerly reinforced in England by Henry VIII and rulers before him in An Act Against Costly Apparel, which regulated who could posses certain types of clothing in great detail (Sources and Databases, Key and Bucholz,1.3, p.6).

3 thoughts on “Bossy’s Under the Molehill & the Importance of Social Ordering

1. Allyson, I think you have captured the essence, in your interpretation of Bossy’s, Under the Molehill’s, and the confusion therein.
    In addition, when I revisited the narrative, I could sense the author’s excitement, to convey such precious material, which he may have caused intentionally or unintentionally, due to the spy narrative. In other words, as a historian striving to put the pieces back together, I could feel the authors initial confusion, when striving to solve a good mystery story, which I understand this, and in my opinion is held in my library, as a classic.
    Also, the quote, which you illustrated, “Bossy draws attention to Elizabethan anxieties about status and social climbers,” I really saw your interpretation, of Elizabeth, in the same way as my own.
    In other words, when I realized that Bossy was providing tools of which, to trace the death of Mary of Scotland, I was astonished. My mind became excited, and I could feel the anxiety, of living during Elizabeth’s reign, striving to seek the best transcript to support the crown of England, or if you were against the English crown, vice versa.
    I immediately found myself re-reading the narrative, looking for a deeper meaning than before. Because, as I stated in my blog, “Now, the portrayal of Queen Elizabeth in Under the Molehill, is very interesting, because it portrays Queen Elizabeth as an active participant in her monarch, and not just a passive observer.” In other words I have profound respect for Bossy and his scholarly research on Queen Elizabeth of England.
    All of which started, because I found the letters of the Queen, so very intriguing, as the author, has held an entire chapter to it, (”A Letter From The Queen”), of marvelous research, focusing on an intimate narrative of foreign policy, between Queen Elizabeth, her realm, and those who attempted to oppose her reign.

2. Great discussion! I think it’s interesting to think of these social climbers in contrast to/along with those like Wolsey and Cromwell (Thomas) who rose by other means…church in the first place, worldly travel with some lawyer’s skill in the second. They too were resented, feared, and made the aristocracy nervous. But they also achieved a tremendous amount and did earn a certain amount of trust, loyalty and respect (grudging in most cases).

3. I also think that the people of the Elizabethan time were a bit weary about social climbers and your example definitely shows that However, I would like to add a little more to it. I think while a part of why there such negativity towards social climbers can be contributed to general dislike of such people by the aristocracy and fear of disrupting the great chain of being, I think there are some practical concerns that come with it too.

Using your example, Maheut did everything he could to play the part of someone from the higher class – wearing the right clothes, interacting with the right people, spending well beyond his means – and that led him to a title that many felt he did not earn. This frenchman is now in a position where he may not be qualified, just because he knew how to play the field and climb the ladder. Now, if everyone started doing this – in hopes of bettering the situation of their family – it becomes much harder to distinguish who has been born and raised to come into such titles and positions, from those who just are hoping to just learn it as they go so they can profit from it. The man was spending much more than he can afford to uphold his lavish lifestyle- which is always an unstable lifestyle in any century – and that is a recipe for disaster when he can no longer afford it. Some people in such situations may end up taking drastic measures to recuperate or simply disappear to make their problems go away. In this case, there would then be a void left by someone who may not have ever been a good fit for it.